How do you get fiber glass resin off your hands?

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
I'm trying to fix a bumper using fiber glass and I can't get this freaken stuff off my hands.

Anyone know what to use to use so I can get my hands clean?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You really, really should be wearing complete body cover, and I hope you are wearing a dust mask and eye protection.

If not, be prepared for a few days of insanity.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: lightpants
lacquer thinner

:thumbsup:

edit: If it hasn't hardened this works great. It will dry your hands out terribly but it will melt the resin right off. If it's already hardened, it's a much tougher proposition.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
What kind of resin? Epoxy? Polyester? The type of resin you're using doesn't really have that much to do with the fact that you're using fiberglass.

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Holy crap, wear gloves and a mask, please. That sh!t really sucks to get on (and under) your skin. Whatever you do, don't start rubbing your hands, or it'll embed the fiberglass into your skin, like thousands of little splinters (clear, invisible splinters)...

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DingDingDao
Holy crap, wear gloves and a mask, please. That sh!t really sucks to get on (and under) your skin. Whatever you do, don't start rubbing your hands, or it'll embed the fiberglass into your skin, like thousands of little splinters (clear, invisible splinters)...

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
Its still soft, its not hardend yet.

Its just the resin I touched with my hands not the fiber glass. Its a polyester resin.

I used some gas and it got must of it off.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jsbush
Its still soft, its not hardend yet.

Its just the resin I touched with my hands not the fiber glass. Its a polyester resin.

I used some gas and it got must of it off.
Ah, yeah.. I didn't catch the word resin.

Acetone, xylene.. maybe even alcohol should work.. laquer thinner.. carb cleaner.

Or gasoline. ;)