How do you get cigarette smell out of electronics?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I'm trying to work out a deal between a couple companies to donate some lcd monitors to some charities.

The LCD's however have been in smoked filled rooms, and I'm going to guess that they will stink like cigarette smoke.

Anyone know to get the smell out?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
You can try something like Windex on the outside. Other than that, you have to just let them sit for a while. The smoke residue (oily brown stuff)l should oxidize fairly quickly.

mharrison

Mar 29, 2006
Hmmm....I've got a TIVO with the same problem. I cleaned the outside with scented Windex. Opened the case and cleaned all of the non-electrical surfaces that I could. I pulled the fan and cleaned it with compressed air. You can still smell the smoke if you are looking for it.

The remote is HORRIBLE. I kept it wrapped in a fabric softener sheet for about a week. Then I moved it to a Ziplock with a box of Baking Soda in it. It is still HORRIBLE.

If you find a good solution let me know!

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
The problem is tar (the brown). It hangs onto it. And it takes a solvent to remove it. Finding a safe solvent that you can use liberally and not damage plastic/electronics (smearing conductive material across connectors) is difficult. Some of the Orange/Citrus oil products might help, but don't know if they are safe.

OH - I forget with LCDs, but CRTs, be EXTREMELY careful. There are some high capacity caps that hold a charge forever. You can get the nickname of Sparky real quick (and engraved in stone).

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Find an auto detailer that has an ozone system. If 30 minutes of having a 10 g/hr genny in a smoking car = a non smoking car I'm sure they can help you out.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Remotes have rubberized buttons. Getting the stink and oils out of those is almost impossible. Maybe just get a generic remote that can be configured for the Tivo. You could disassemble it and go over everything with alcohol and cotton swabs...

.bh.