How do you find the PS3s DVD up-conversion quality?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I've had a PS3 since the beginning and would consider myself a lover of HT, but still something of a newb. I have never had the chance to compare the quality of the PS3's DVD up-conversion quality alongside anything professional, nor do I have the money to ever do so. So question is for those who have seen both how does the PS3 rate compared to the crazy high end up-converters (Faroudja, etc...)? I personally am very happy with the quality but like I said I've never done any rigorous comparisons.

I know when Sony first implemented up-conversion in a firmware update people were upset because they neglected to include the hardware to do proper hardware up-conversion.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I think it does better than my standalone up-converter, but I have a cheap Phillips up-converter.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: sswingle
I think it does better than my standalone up-converter, but I have a cheap Phillips up-converter.

Upconversion went from being a niche market thing with high quality components in things like the Faroudja video processors to being the next must have feature that every 50 buck DVD player advertised.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
I dont like it. I use my Toshiba HD-A35 for upconverting dvds over my PS3.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: tboo
I dont like it. I use my Toshiba HD-A35 for upconverting dvds over my PS3.
To be fair, the A-35 has some spectacular upconversion hardware in it.

On an absolute basis, the PS3 is probably in the top 20% of upconverting DVD players, but not the elite tier that Oppo, Denon, et al occupy.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I used to have my PS3 upconvert the DVDs but didn't like the results. Now I have it just deinterlace them and pass them as 480p to my TV. I think it looks noticeably better. However, my TV is 720p, so the PS3's upconversion might look better on a 1080p (since the TV wouldn't have to scale the upconverted signal). My TV also has a good scaler, so the PS3's upconversion might look better than allowing a TV with a poor scaler to do the scaling.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I have a PS3 upverting standard DVD's to my Samsung 46-inch LN46A650 1080P LCD TV and movies look quite good. I originally bought the PS3 as a Bluray player and rented netflix BR movies to watch. I watched a fair sample of BR movies and noticed some looked amazing but others only so so, in fact upverted DVD's don't look a great deal worse. Now I haven't hooked up 3 or 4 other upverting DVD players to the same TV so I have no basis for comparison.

What I did do was first hooked up a standard Panasonic progressive scan DVD player to that LCD TV and the pictures didn't look very good - not very clear. However, I don't know if my Samsung was actually upscaling or not - ie it may be a feature I needed to turn on so I might have been watching the DVD via the Panasonic player unconverted. However, that compelled me right away to either get an upverting DVD player or the PS3, which I chose the latter.

Based on my simply comparing my upverted DVD movies to the BR movies, I'd say the PS3 does a nice job and I"m pretty happy watching DVD's on my set up. Movies are not super crisp but quite good and not fuzzy enough to generally detract from the experience. I watch my 46-inch TV at a distance of about 8 to 9 feet.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
No basis for comparison, but I think the image quality is great on my 1080p Samsung 4071F with PS3 upconversion.