Question How do you find people to play games with?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Are there any forums or Discord channels where people can find others to play with?

For example I want to play Act of War and Titan Quest. No one I know cares or wants to.

Are there communities for this?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well for Titan Quest you can visit the Grim Dawn forums since the creators of TQ also made Grim Dawn and the online modding community for TQ moved to GD.

As for the rest, just type the name of the game you want to play and add "Discord" or "Reddit" at the end in Google and you'll find what you're looking for. If you're playing on Steam, the discussions are probably the best place for quick matches with other people.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
reddit should have a subforum for each game.
i usually go look though reddit if i want a strike team of some sorts.
I still don't understand how to browse Reddit. I never jumped on the Reddit bandwagon and every time I visit Reddit through specific Google searches, it brings up a bizarre layout that makes absolutely zero sense.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I still don't understand how to browse Reddit. I never jumped on the Reddit bandwagon and every time I visit Reddit through specific Google searches, it brings up a bizarre layout that makes absolutely zero sense.

Same. I tried many times to understand the setup. It's annoying.

The best I could come up with is to change the "Sort" option to display "Old" first, instead of what's been voted as "Best". Even with that, it's disjointed.

I think that's part of the plan with it though. It's not designed to be an efficient share of information, IMO. It's designed to be slightly less ADD than Twitter...but only slightly.

On Topic:
It's gotten a lot harder to find the same people to play games with online these days. Mostly because of the matchmaking systems. It used to be that you would choose the server that you wanted to join based off of location, ping, players, etc...then once you found one you liked, you could continue to join that one night after night and get to know the players on there. The option to do this is generally still there, but most people just auto-join random servers with new players in them each time they fire up their games...

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont mind reddit but I've been reading it for a while and kept up with all the format changes. Truth be told, much like my forums I dont care for the changes in layout but thats life.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There should be a pinned post up top on friends / teams / recruit on reddit.
If it doesn't have it, then the leader for the subforum is incompetent.

Another is to find the public discord channel for the game.
A lot of games will usually have a public discord.

I would love to have a recruit thread, but it would most likely violate a TOS rule in this forum under no self promotion, which includes clan's and guilds. :eek:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
There should be a pinned post up top on friends / teams / recruit on reddit.
If it doesn't have it, then the leader for the subforum is incompetent.

Another is to find the public discord channel for the game.
A lot of games will usually have a public discord.

I would love to have a recruit thread, but it would most likely violate a TOS rule in this forum under no self promotion, which includes clan's and guilds. :eek:
Didn't we used to have threads dedicated to playing with each other at one point? Or maybe that was game-specific that I'm remembering.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
generally, the game will do that for you.

This,i play a game called Wizard101 and i got a max death and storm wizard. Broken op stats and just being in the commons areas with large groups,i would get requests for help and make TONS of friends. I helped one friend so much for so long just to be nice without asking, she covered like a 6 month membership for me.

Harder to do this in BF titles which i play a bunch of, i do got real friends who share the passion of pc gaming but they don't play fps great to save their lifes. They also don't like the BF series anyways and both friends use controllers. I only use a controller when my pc is hooked up to my 4k tv when i play GTA V.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I walk along the boardwalk along the beach in San Diego and ask people passing by if they want to. And I'll get maybe one or none for the day. Sorry the whole virus scare situation made me post this silly thing. But I am posting this on a 4K tv (40" ips screen).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Reddit.. general games or gaming subreddit

Or go to the game's own subreddits. Tons of people exactly like you looking for others.

Enjoy

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
For online stuff I generally just let the game's equivalent of 'Group Finder' / 'Match Making' system do it for me. It's all automated nowadays, it creates a room putting you as the host and you just wait until all the player slots are filled up and you start the game. Or you're the one searching and you're not even looking at a server list anymore, it's just some spinning circle while you wait in a boring GUI until the match starts loading.

My years of 'organized grouping' with specific people were limited to playing with Guild members in various MMORPGs and some few select friends I made with whom I played shooters like Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection and the first Left 4 Dead. In general, "playing with people" now is pretty much limited to automated grouping system from the game itself.