How do you finance your GPU purchase?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How do you finance your GPU purchase?

• Total voters

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I buy GPUs with cash then I flip my old card on Craigslist to gain some money back. I usually make back $200-300 depending on model and market conditions. I usually buy the second best AMD card in their enthusiast stack.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
5870 miner.
one coin was $5 back then, now its worth $1000+.

at some point one coin from my stash will buy an entire high end system including 4k display.

Reactions: richierich1212

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I probably do the same thing as DidelisDiskas. It is some trouble to offer up parts here or at EBay. If I squeeze at least 4 year from them, I can also re-deploy to the machines of other fam-damn-ily members. But there IS a pile of detritus from the past building up.

I finance my graphics cards like everything else. I have an account for the Egg which offers "no interest charges for 12 months" on purchases of $500 or more -- six months for $250 or more.

I have an annual budget I give myself for PC hardware and software. And I have a personal policy that anything that goes into personal saving only comes out of it for some emergency. And PC parts are not an emergency. Saving is continuous and ongoing.

The Egg card allows me to literally "borrow" new parts without paying interest on the purchase, but the new card requires a regular monthly minimum payment. To meet the promotional 6mo or 12mo deadline, I budget the payments (and far in excess of monthly minimum -- we all know about what that can cost in interest.) So the use of the card is carefully planned, as is the purchase of parts, and the outstanding balance is budgeted so that I adhere to that budget.

For nickel-and-dime stuff ( as much as $100 or $200) that is a matter of immediate need (but still no emergency), I do the equivalent of paying in cash: I put it on a particular designated VISA card and pay it off at month's end. Period. No exceptions.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I sell my old cards and take full advantage of same as cash financing with Newegg and Paypal. Why expend all the money at once? I can use their money for free and spread out the cash outlay.
That's exactly what I do. I don't think EVGA takes PayPal but this is what I've been doing. Buy it with PayPal with 0% no payments or apr for like six months and then I usually pay it off in a month or two. I usually give my gpu away to family or try and sell it here.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I just pay cash, this last upgrade I used EVGA's step up to move from a 1070 to a 1080ti, so I guess I kinda did it in a 2 part payment scheme.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Have a big jar I dump all my pocket change in. When its full I take it to a Coin Star machine and get an Amazon gift certificate with it. Its like free money since its not coming out of my bank account. Amounts to about $400 every year and I strictly use it for PC upgrades.