Example for 2 frames, one on top of the other:

<frameset rows="104,*" framespacing=0 frameborder=0>
<frame src="top.asp" scrolling="no">
<frame src="menu2.asp" name="mwin">
</frameset>

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You don't. Frames went the way of the dinosaur years ago.

There are plenty of other ways to get a nice looking website without using evil frames.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank
Example for 2 frames, one on top of the other:

<frameset rows="104,*" framespacing=0 frameborder=0>
<frame src="top.asp" scrolling="no">
<frame src="menu2.asp" name="mwin">
</frameset>

Thank you!

For the frames haters, I agree. It's for a company intranet though, and that's the way they do it. *shrug*

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are situations where frames are the "best" solution, they are not always evil. I just put together a new application here at work and use frames for one of the screens. Minimizes the amount of data that needs to be transmitted and improves response time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeraden
There are situations where frames are the "best" solution, they are not always evil. I just put together a new application here at work and use frames for one of the screens. Minimizes the amount of data that needs to be transmitted and improves response time.
True, though you can design pages to appear like they have a frame... such as using a dynamic call to the menu section of the code, or a status section on the top, on each page. I agree that using actual HTML frame code nowadays is :thumbsdown:.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
You don't want frames... stick to xhtml and css.

Hmm i dont know these. What are they. I actually want to make a website for my brother so i need to buy a book or something.

walla

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RadioHead84

Hmm i dont know these. What are they. I actually want to make a website for my brother so i need to buy a book or something.

XHTML = eXtensibleHTML. Essentially, you make sure all of your tags are closed (with the exception of a few where it is not necessary).

CSS = cascading style sheets. It is a powerful way to control the layout of your document, the goal being to completely separate content from layout. In this way, changing a layout for an entire site can be as easy as swapping one CSS file.

The goal of both is to make web content extensible, flexible, usable, and manageable.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: walla

XHTML = eXtensibleHTML. Essentially, you make sure all of your tags are closed (with the exception of a few where it is not necessary).

CSS = cascading style sheets. It is a powerful way to control the layout of your document, the goal being to completely separate content from layout. In this way, changing a layout for an entire site can be as easy as swapping one CSS file.

ooo i like the CSS idea. I will have to look into it. Recommend any books or websites?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
... or as difficult as compensating for cross-browser compatibility. ;)

walla

Jun 2, 2001

ooo i like the CSS idea. I will have to look into it. Recommend any books or websites?

Everything I learned about CSS and HTML, I learned by example and internet tutorials. Everything you need is there.

If you want to see what CSS is truly capable of, try http://www.csszengarden.com/.

As far as specific websites...just google for CSS tutorial :) Also...check out http://www.w3.org/ and http://www.w3schools.com/

walla

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71

well if IE got on the web standards bandwagon... :)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

They started with an ease of use mentality (like all of their products), so if they get stricter now, it would fvck a lot of websites... that's a PR nightmare.

walla

Jun 2, 2001

They started with an ease of use mentality (like all of their products), so if they get stricter now, it would fvck a lot of websites... that's a PR nightmare.

I can understand that. It is truly unfortunate that they are single-handedly negating much of the work that goes into the establishment of web standards and cross-browser compatibility since they own something like 90% of the market.

But you are right. Many more people that design websites adopt the easy way as opposed to the "right" way when it comes to standards. If IE decided to go strict with CSS and HTML standards...you can bet there'd be web anarchy :). I think the only way this will change is the market massively shifts towards standard-friendly browsers like FireFox.