How do you determine the legitimacy of a website?

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
Posted here because it seems the related-est. Feel free to move it if you want it somewhere else:

After a recent run-in with two AT mods where I thought I was asking around about the legitimacy of a website and they thought I was a no-good, evil-doing spamming piece of crap, it occurs to me to ask if people have a way of validating the authenticity of a website--if for no other reason than I won't have to deal with the smarmy remarks of an overlord who suggested that I am such a danger do myself on the intrawebs that I should just kill myself now before I accidentally sell myself for a Canadian nickel (not you DrPizza ;)). Unfortunately, he did not deign to bestow upon me any of his vast knowledge or tried-and-true processes, so I am turning to you guys. My process is this: unless it's Amazon or Newegg, it's unlikely that I'm buying it online. However, I understand the need for perhaps a more discerning methodology in this day and age, so I'd appreciate any help. Feel free to link to a sticky if people have asked before, somewhere else if there is a decent guide written in lay terms, or just give your own process when you stumble across something you might want to buy from.

Thanks,
Raswan

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Whois. Generally the more scammish the sight.. the less forthcoming with information about the registrant.

Then there is the BBB, or sites like resellerratings.com.

Followed up with common sense.

Recently looking for UGG boots for a present and came across this site...
http://www.ugglions.com/new-arrivials

Looks like a nice site. but the registrar is in China and these prices were lower than most UGG sites. Likely you would receive a counterfeit shipped direct from their factory down the street.