How do you correct poor posture?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
After years of being a heavy computer user, I've discovered I have incredibly poor posture. Even sitting in a chair, my back and neck are curved forward. It's a real effort to stay sitting up straight. Does it get easier over time with practice? It's one of those things you don't really realize and then it hits you that you're slumping all the time. I have a good chair now that supports my back, so that should help some. Any other suggestions?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaido
After years of being a heavy computer user, I've discovered I have incredibly poor posture. Even sitting in a chair, my back and neck are curved forward. It's a real effort to stay sitting up straight. Does it get easier over time with practice? It's one of those things you don't really realize and then it hits you that you're slumping all the time. I have a good chair now that supports my back, so that should help some. Any other suggestions?

Yup. My mom likes to call me Quasimodo or just, "the Hunchback" because of how crappy my posture is. I've started to pull my shoulders back a little when I walk, helps me straighten up my back to avert looking like either a. I'm sticking my wang out or b. trying to stick out my non-existent chest/pecs.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I'd recommend seeing a chiropractor. They can help "retrain" those muscles, and advise you on some back strengthening exercises.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
cattle prod strategically positioned so that when moving out of the CORRECT position, you are reminded to not do so...

jC

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Get a chair with velcro straps.

EDIT: Think electric chair without the electricity. :shocked: