How do you cook your steak?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Steak snobs automatically think well done steak is shoe leather tough. Poor cut and poorly cooked well done steak is like chewing leather. But Prime grade ribeye or tenderloin cooked to well done on lower heat will be tender. It won't be tender as medium-rare steak but it won't be shoe leather tough either. Just don't cook it at 600+ degrees high heat and shock the meat if you want well done. Cook it around 350-400 degrees heat.

People eat wagyu steak well done and no one complains about the meat being tough. Same with the well done ribeye slices on Philly cheesesteak. Just buy the best quality meat possible. That's the most important.
Comparing Japanese steak or American steak is not exactly fair. They are totally different in pretty much all regards and are bred for totally different flavors.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Comparing Japanese steak or American steak is not exactly fair. They are totally different in pretty much all regards and are bred for totally different flavors.

Why is it not fair? It doesn't have to be Japanese steak. I've cooked plenty of American steaks bought from Costco to well done. My relatives like their steak well done so when I have them over, I cook it well done for them. And the steaks are tender because I choose premium cuts and quality beef. USDA Prime ribeye cap is great when cooked to well done. But top sirloin steak can be tough. But if you marinate, you can cook it to well done and have it tender. I know steak snobs look down on marinade or using anything other than salt and black pepper on a steak but those are the dumb people. There's nothing wrong with using marinades and sauces on a steak to dress it up.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
giphy.gif

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I prefer rare or medium rare, salt & pepper on very hot charcoal when using good cuts of meat. When using lesser cuts I usually add a marinade and just go pan or gas grill, medium rare.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I've always grilled mine outside. But after some critical analysis I realized that most steak houses don't have outside grills. Seems they cook them in an oven or in a pan? What's the best way to cook a steak? And I'm talking NY Strip, ribeye or tbone here, none of that cheap top sirloin crap that is the best poor folk can afford.

Thanks!
With some sort of heating device.....

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I like my steak like I like my women, brown on the outside and pink in the middle.

Medium rare, always.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I slice it really thin (1/8th inch) and marinate it in teriyaki sauce and stir fry.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I place my steak on a rack in fridge for a few days before cooking. Ages it a little.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
It depends on my mood.

When i want the absolute best tasting steak I get a great marbled NYS and let it warm to almost room temp after seasoning it with some pepper, garlic, MSG, salt, pepper flakes, dill, and coriander. I then preheat my grill to as hot as it goes (weber ftw) and then toss them on for 2.5 - 3.5 min per side and then taking them off and letting them rest. This results in a medium rare- medium steak depending on thickness with great sear marks. Oh and make sure you put a thin pat of land o lakes butter on top if each of them before tossing them on, it makes them extra juicy and flavorful.

If im being lazy I have a set of cast iron pans that were my grandmothers that are solely used for steak. Same process as above but i make sure to blot the steak with a paper towel before hand to soak up any moisture, if you dont do this it steams underneath and ruins your chances of getting a great sear. With this method i keep the butter off until ive flipped it to keep the pan dry as possible so i get a sear on both sides. Spoon the butter/drippings on the steak for extra awesome.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've always grilled mine outside. But after some critical analysis I realized that most steak houses don't have outside grills. Seems they cook them in an oven or in a pan? What's the best way to cook a steak? And I'm talking NY Strip, ribeye or tbone here, none of that cheap top sirloin crap that is the best poor folk can afford.

Thanks!
I'd say on a grill is my favorite but I don't have one, so when I cook a steak (not very often) I just do it on the stove, in a pan. Honestly I think they turn out really dang good. I put out the steak to let it get warm (room temp or so), then spread a bit of butter on both sides and season it with Montreal Steak Seasoning (which has salt/pepper in it). Just gotta watch it so you don't overcook it; otherwise mmmm mmmm mmmm.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Steak snobs automatically think well done steak is shoe leather tough. Poor cut and poorly cooked well done steak is like chewing leather. But Prime grade ribeye or tenderloin cooked to well done on lower heat will be tender. It won't be tender as medium-rare steak but it won't be shoe leather tough either. Just don't cook it at 600+ degrees high heat and shock the meat if you want well done. Cook it around 350-400 degrees heat.

People eat wagyu steak well done and no one complains about the meat being tough. Same with the well done ribeye slices on Philly cheesesteak. Just buy the best quality meat possible. That's the most important.
I guess I must be cooking my steaks on lower heat, I cook them well done and haven't understood this whole "shoe leather" thing people constantly spout.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I guess I must be cooking my steaks on lower heat, I cook them well done and haven't understood this whole "shoe leather" thing people constantly spout.
Because people are steak snobs and generally ignorant about beef. Well done steak can be real tender. Perfectly cooked medium-rare steak can be "shoe leather" tough. In fact, the toughest steak I've had in my life was perfectly grilled medium-rare ribeye steak. Most people would think that's impossible but it's true. I bought great looking well marbled ribeye steaks from Asian grocery store. It was like $4 /lb and it looked great so I bought it without reading the label. I suspect the meat was from old Mexican dairy cow. I grilled it perfect med-rare on my Weber charcoal kettle and it was "shoe leather" tough. Way tougher than any beef jerky I've eaten. It was ridiculous. But that experience taught me good lesson about beef and reading the origin label.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Seasoned with rock salt, fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder. Sous vide to 130f. Pat dry. Seared quickly on a pre-heated grill grate atop a chimney starter full of lump charcoal that has reached the "rocket engine" state.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Why is it not fair? It doesn't have to be Japanese steak. I've cooked plenty of American steaks bought from Costco to well done. My relatives like their steak well done so when I have them over, I cook it well done for them. And the steaks are tender because I choose premium cuts and quality beef. USDA Prime ribeye cap is great when cooked to well done. But top sirloin steak can be tough. But if you marinate, you can cook it to well done and have it tender. I know steak snobs look down on marinade or using anything other than salt and black pepper on a steak but those are the dumb people. There's nothing wrong with using marinades and sauces on a steak to dress it up.

I had a lot to say to you until I saw "USD Prime Ribeye cap is great when cooked well done". All the while trashing "Japanese steak", which only goes to show you've never been to Japan and eaten properly.

Fuck me, what is the world coming to?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I had a lot to say to you until I saw "USD Prime Ribeye cap is great when cooked well done". All the while trashing "Japanese steak", which only goes to show you've never been to Japan and eaten properly.

Heh, I guess you haven't seen his threads about his vacations.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Heh, I guess you haven't seen his threads about his vacations.

"Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

I don't care about someone's vacation schedule. You cannot convince me that actual Wagyu beef cooked mid-rare is harder than USDA rib-eye cooked Well Done, LOL. I do not need to give my passport to tell you that :)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Rare to medium rare at most, otherwise you might as well stick to the vegetables like pork or chicken.

:D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't cook steak. Couldn't even say when the last time I ate any was, but if I were to have one, I'd take it well done with lots of Tabasco on it. Maybe Tabasco on one half and Worcestershire on the other half. I like Worcestershire sauce, but don't have much opportunity to eat any.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Fuck overpriced Japanese Wagyu. If you enjoy buying and eating that overpriced and over hyped glob of fat, more power to you. But I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay. I grill steaks multiple times a week, and I'm happy with eating USDA Choice or Prime top sirloin cap steak medium rare. That's my go to cut of beef.

• Haha
Reactions: RadiclDreamer