How do you clean your laptop/monitor screen?

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Just bought a new laptop that has a touch screen. After using it for 4 days, the screen is very dirty.
Amazing how fast a touch screen gets dirty! LOL
What solution/solutions and cloths do you use to clean laptop/monitor screens????
Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Staples carries specific "monitor wipes". I think a few canisters of those will last me a lifetime. (I don't need to clean my monitors very often.)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
My car has a touch screen, and it came with a microfiber cloth for cleaning. It goes a good job with no liquid agent.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use toilet paper. Wipe lightly with wet paper, dry with dry paper. Conventional thought says it'll scratch the screen, but it hasn't happened yet.

Feb 25, 2011
I don't like toilet paper because it disintegrates and leaves dust.

Use a proper paper towel or a shop towel. Spray glass cleaner (e.g. blue Windex) on the towel, not directly on the screen.

I clean TV screens and monitors, whether they need it or not, at the same time I'm doing general dusting so I'm not wasting a bunch of paper towels. (We also have a bunch of glass furniture. So we go through a lot of windex and paper towels.)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I have been using alcohol 90% on a lint free cloth for decades with no ill effects.

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
HI
Just bought a new laptop that has a touch screen. After using it for 4 days, the screen is very dirty.
Amazing how fast a touch screen gets dirty! LOL
What solution/solutions and cloths do you use to clean laptop/monitor screens????
Thanks
By cleaning CDs and DVDs, I discovered that some microfiber towels will scratch them. Like the coarse type I bought from Costco can leave scratches in the disc. Microfiber cloths specifically for cleaning eye glasses have a very tight weave and are smooth to the touch. They don't scratch the discs. Old soft cotton T-shirts haven't scratched any discs.

IOW, I suggest testing the cloth you use to clean your screens, on an old CD or DVD that you don't need anymore. Press with the same pressure you would use to clean your screens. CDs and DVDs are really good indicators of how scratch free a cloth is.

I've been using a 50% mix of white vinegar and distilled water plus old soft cotton T-shirts to clean my screens. I keep the liquid mix in a bottled water container. But I think I'll try the eye glass cleaner wipes idea to see if it's easier to be streak free. Streak free is the hardest part :)

skyzoomer

Last edited:

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
As for the alcohol, isopropyl...rubbing alcohol...not ethanol, save that for parties.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If the monitor is expensive and new (meaning I still care) then I use microfiber clothes (the fine fabric kind, not the big car wash ones) and distilled water. If the monitor is a few years old, I use my T shirt or whatever the hell I have laying around with some spit or tap water. Cleaning performance is the same. No damage or scratches either way. Go figure.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Sprayway glass cleaner is milder than alcohol, yet has grease/fingerprint cutting properties and tends to dry streak free. It, along with microfibers, serve well for all my device cleaning needs.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I use toilet paper. Wipe lightly with wet paper, dry with dry paper. Conventional thought says it'll scratch the screen, but it hasn't happened yet.

I use toilet paper... for my butt! Seriously, I cut old kitchen towels in half and use them to clean my monitors with a little damp water. Go back over with a dry portion of the towel.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI Sorry about being so slow to get back here. There are some health issues that got in the way.
A few years ago I bought a bottle of screen cleaner made by Monster. (Yes I know it is expensive) It was recommended by a person who writes a column on audio, video, etc. That small bottle lasted a while until everyone else in the family found it and used it. LOL The cleaned came with a thick microfiber cloth.
Based on suggestions here i will buy a better microfiber cloth and use a product made by Windex that is basically a cleaner with vinegar. Now my pc and tv screens will smell like a salad!! LOL
BTW, I returned the "new" laptop. The screen was to small for me. (13inch) I was used to a 16 inch screen. Back to the hunt for a new laptop.
Thanks