how do you clean a flask?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
two weeks ago, I went to a wedding... once I got there, I discovered to my great dismay that the wedding was completely dry. no alcohol whatsoever. not even a cash bar.

after that experience and with 3 weddings more to attend in the near future, I vowed to never attend another wedding sober... they just make me too angry. lol. so I went on ebay this morning and bought a flask. but how do you clean the things out, since you can't exactly scrub out the inside?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Table salt doesn't dissolve well in isopropyl alcohol. You can pour a bunch of salt in the flask, add alcohol, cap and shake.

The salt crystals should scrub the surface for you.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Anything you're carrying in there will probably be able to kill most nasties.

Don't 'scrub' it at all, the scratches you'll create will be a good place for nasties to hide.

For vessels like that I take a bit of dishwasher detergent, half fill it with REALLY hot water, shake the crap out of it and rinse thoroughly.

If you're a real baby you could always use PBW and Star-San, it'll be clean then.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also, if it's got a bit a stank smell to it, a good couple rinses with warm water and baking soda will help.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: yoda291
you put something harder than what was in there previously.

Until you're drinking rubbing alcohol. :p

that's one way to avoid having to go to all of these GD weddings ;)

poisonings....is there any problem it can't solve?

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
random thought....anyone know of any good plastic flasks that also have plastic caps? All of the ones I see appear to have metallic caps.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
random thought....anyone know of any good plastic flasks that also have plastic caps? All of the ones I see appear to have metallic caps.

Airport security keeps catching you?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: djheater
For vessels like that I take a bit of dishwasher detergent, half fill it with REALLY hot water, shake the crap out of it and rinse thoroughly.
That's how I'd clean one.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin

Airport security keeps catching you?

Football games....I wouldn't risk it at an airport.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Water + lots of shaking. I've never scrubbed mine or put anything aside from water or alcohol in it. It will always smell of alcohol, but as long as you rinse it out after use, it should keep free of grunge.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Make sure that you keep the little metal funnel. Its very hard to fill it without that thing.

Unmoosical

Feb 27, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
two weeks ago, I went to a wedding... once I got there, I discovered to my great dismay that the wedding was completely dry. no alcohol whatsoever. not even a cash bar.

after that experience and with 3 weddings more to attend in the near future, I vowed to never attend another wedding sober... they just make me too angry. lol. so I went on ebay this morning and bought a flask. but how do you clean the things out, since you can't exactly scrub out the inside?

Were you by any chance at this wedding?
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...key=y&keyword1=wedding