how do you change your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liviathan

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2001
Your real name that is.

I want to change my first name. I have the first name as my dad and it has gotten old....so how do i do this??

Anyone done it??

Last edited by a moderator:

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I think you have to change it with the social security department. :)

edit: That's if you just got married.

: ) Amanda

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I'm pretty sure you have to petition the court and appear infront of a judge. He will then decide if your reasons are legitimate. I read a story in my local paper around 2 years ago that denied at 10 year old who wanted to change his name from Frances to Frank because people would make fun of him. It may be completely different if you're over 18, I'm not sure.

Jan 9, 2002
Wow, seriously? :Q Not really sure. I remember an episode of Full House where Stephanie wanted to do that.... ehhh.. later. :eek:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you run up to the name registrar and pay 10 gold... wait... i'm not on vnboards...

heheh nightflyer watched full house

Originally posted by: Liviathan
Your real name that is.

I want to change my first name. I have the first name as my dad and it has gotten old....so how do i do this??

Anyone done it??

Send a PM to the mod...er...write a letter to the Social Security Department :D.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
Social Security has nothing to do with the name change process (other than you having to tell the SSA after your name is changed) since name change petitions are handled by the state judicial courts. You can usually get and file petition forms from the county seat municipal court, then if your case doesn't fall under common categories (e.g. naturalization, marriage, etc) they call you up in front of a judge or appointed clerk to plead your reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.