How do we fix education?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
If kids really are coming out of school stupid then obviously that has to be corrected by not giving them a Diploma saying they passed. What happened to being left back in grades? Are they not doing that anymore? Are they passing kids just for showing up and being counted that they attended?

Basically yes. If you hold back a kid and the parents fuss enough they will get to go to the next grade. Schools are basically at the mercy of the parents.

KK

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KK
If kids really are coming out of school stupid then obviously that has to be corrected by not giving them a Diploma saying they passed. What happened to being left back in grades? Are they not doing that anymore? Are they passing kids just for showing up and being counted that they attended?

Basically yes. If you hold back a kid and the parents fuss enough they will get to go to the next grade. Schools are basically at the mercy of the parents.

KK

WTF is that? Since when do parents wield that kind of power? Educators have lost their balls and afriad to tell a parent their kid is stupid and needs to start over? We're putting ourselves in so many situations ourselves, becoming a Country of wusses and idiots except for the deviants that wormed their way into Boardrooms.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

KK

WTF is that? Since when do parents wield that kind of power? Educators have lost their balls and afriad to tell a parent their kid is stupid and needs to start over? We're putting ourselves in so many situations ourselves, becoming a Country of wusses.

Yup - the pussification of America is alive and well.:|

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: burnedout
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

Emphasize extracurriculars but de-emphasize competitive athletics . . . this is a hard pill for this former football, wrestling, and track athlete but schools need to focus on education . . . not entertaining the locals.
And de-emphasize community relationships, teambuilding, competitive environments etc. with this totally absurd idea.

Schools are for teaching the basics. Sports should be community based - not school based. I don't want ANY school to have to choose between books(teachers) and helmets(coaches). There are plenty of ways schools can teach team building, community relations, competition besides extracurricular sports. FBLA, FHA, VICA(Is that still around?), FFA, and any other organization can easily help nurture those things you mentioned, not to mention in class activities.

I think I have to agree with BBD here(actually I KNOW I do;)) and say that schools are for education - not sports.
<-Football, Wrestling, Baseball.

CkG

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

KK

WTF is that? Since when do parents wield that kind of power? Educators have lost their balls and afriad to tell a parent their kid is stupid and needs to start over? We're putting ourselves in so many situations ourselves, becoming a Country of wusses and idiots except for the deviants that wormed their way into Boardrooms.

Dave, the problem is that the education administration has gotten gun shy.

Example:
I have a boy that teaches in middle school south of you.
He may fail a child, for not performing and/or doing the proper work. If so, the parent calls the school, and my boy then has to justisfy to the admin why the child received a non-passing grade. even having a grade book, does not cut it. He has to explain why the child was not given special treatment.

At times, he has been requested (by admin) to reverse the grade and was told last semester that no child will be allowed to fail. Not that the child will pass because of ability or grade inflation, but to fail, will hurt the self-esteem of the child. :wine:

Schools have been hit by lawsuits over emotional trauma to the parent and child when the child can not have what they or the parent desires.
And won:(

It goes back to responsibility at the family level and the will of society to do what is right for the schools at all levels.
Any weak link in the chain will sabatoge the whole effort.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Emphasize extracurriculars but de-emphasize competitive athletics . . . this is a hard pill for this former football, wrestling, and track athlete but schools need to focus on education . . . not entertaining the locals.
And de-emphasize community relationships, teambuilding, competitive environments etc. with this totally absurd idea.

It takes a village, right? Answer is NO, it doesn't require a village to raise your child, it requires you, the parent.

KK
Would somebody care to tell me what the actual percentage of highschool kids that even participate in competitive athletics outside of PE? You might be shocked to learn that this percentage is much lower than you think. Therefore the effect of highschool athletics on a kid's education is negligible. Repeat after me, negligible.

Highschool athletics serve many useful purposes. Community relationships, as in getting the parents out of the goddam house to at least see their kids perform in some kind of activity, is infinitely better than not.

No, sorry, this society does not need a composition of reclusive, disassociated, out-of-shape, non-identifying dweebs.

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
The education system (K-12) is not broken. The family is broken. Hold parents/care givers accountable for thier children's successes and failures in school.

Have standard tests (yes, from the government) that all students must pass to go to the next grade.

Hold parents/care givers accountable for thier children's successes and failrues in school.

Give the teachers the authority to remove disruptive children from the classroom so others can learn.

Hold parents/care givers accountable for thier children's successes and failrues in school... oh, I said that already.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

KK

Dave, the problem is that the education administration has gotten gun shy.

Example:
I have a boy that teaches in middle school south of you.
He may fail a child, for not performing and/or doing the proper work. If so, the parent calls the school, and my boy then has to justisfy to the admin why the child received a non-passing grade. even having a grade book, does not cut it. He has to explain why the child was not given special treatment.

At times, he has been requested (by admin) to reverse the grade and was told last semester that no child will be allowed to fail. Not that the child will pass because of ability or grade inflation, but to fail, will hurt the self-esteem of the child. :wine:

Schools have been hit by lawsuits over emotional trauma to the parent and child when the child can not have what they or the parent desires.
And won:(

It goes back to responsibility at the family level and the will of society to do what is right for the schools at all levels.
Any weak link in the chain will sabatoge the whole effort.

Gotten gun shy except for bullsh1t like prosecuting a girl for taking Advil for Menstrual cramps or a couple of kids put a website criticizing some teachers and the list goes on and on.

There was only one thing I agreed with about the whole hour long speech last night, Frivilous Lawsuits of all kinds have to go. It's only good for Lawyers and the Courts and I know both would survive just only with the money they used to make not the insane amounts they make now.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Would somebody care to tell me what the actual percentage of highschool kids that even participate in competitive athletics outside of PE? You might be shocked to learn that this percentage is much lower than you think. Therefore the effect of highschool athletics on a kid's education is negligible. Repeat after me, negligible.

Highschool athletics serve many useful purposes. Community relationships, as in getting the parents out of the goddam house to at least see their kids perform in some kind of activity, is infinitely better than not.

As CAD so eloquently stated :D there are multiple ways to accomplish the goals of teaching community, teamwork, and of course getting exercise. When I say de-emphasize . . . I don't recall a subliminal typeset . . . abolish. I wouldn't trade my decade of competitive (school-based) athletics for anything but shorter seasons, smaller stadiums, less equipment, and less attention wouldn't have bothered me in the least . . . but I bet it would save the majority of schools money (overall).

One curious phenomena (IMHO correlative not causation) is the tremendous expansion in female participation in athletics and their emerging dominance in undergraduate ed. I have no data but IMO and personal experience most female athletes are superior students to their male counterparts . . . granted I've seen significant outliers (I used to tutor a football player who became a Med School colleague). Strengthening the mind AND body should be encouraged at all levels of human development . . . but I'm not exactly surprised that TX football is far superior to TX academic achievement.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
<----Football, basketball, and track.

Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Schools are for teaching the basics. Sports should be community based - not school based. I don't want ANY school to have to choose between books(teachers) and helmets(coaches). There are plenty of ways schools can teach team building, community relations, competition besides extracurricular sports. FBLA, FHA, VICA(Is that still around?), FFA, and any other organization can easily help nurture those things you mentioned, not to mention in class activities.

I think I have to agree with BBD here(actually I KNOW I do;)) and say that schools are for education - not sports.

CkG
Schools are certainly for education. Who says a kid MUST go out for a sport?

And what would many of the minorities/lower class do if HS sports were curtailed? Do you know how many potential student-athletes from the lower class rely upon this opportunity to showcase their skills in front of college scouts? Everybody on this board loves to snivel and blindly grope around in the dark about how rough the lower class has it. Now you wanna screw them even more.

No, don't get me started on this subject. I can argue it all day.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

And what would many of the minorities/lower class do if HS sports were curtailed? Do you know how many potential student-athletes from the lower class rely upon this opportunity to showcase their skills in front of college scouts? Everybody on this board loves to snivel and blindly grope around in the dark about how rough the lower class has it. Now you wanna screw them even more.

Nothing wrong with letting the many potential student-athletes getting to showcase their skills. Problem is that the emphisis needs to be on the word
student. A child that is not academicly prepared will either be a atheletic tool to be thrown away in college (assuming that he can make it) or be no better than what he is now.

Very few sports athletes from HS make it past bench warming in college. Even less make it to the pros and excel.
I would suspect that no more than 10% of varsity players make it onto the college team. Big fish in small pond syndrome.
What percentage of college players are actually graduating?
These kids need to learn to make it in the world using their heads first. That way they have something to fall back on.

Let them play competive sports for the school if they have grades that are equal to the rest of the student body.
They should not be rewarded for sub-par performance. :disgust:
What type of message does that teach them on how the real world operates?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

I think you are missing the point. Sports are great- I think it's a great thing for those who are involved, but I also don't think it should be the focus of our educational system. Create community based sports - have school interaction with it - sure, but sports needs to be separated from education. IMO;)
School is for school - sports should not take the place of school.

The racial/minority issue doesn't play - it affects ALL schools.;)

CkG

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
There was only one thing I agreed with about the whole hour long speech last night, Frivilous Lawsuits of all kinds have to go. It's only good for Lawyers and the Courts and I know both would survive just only with the money they used to make not the insane amounts they make now.
Here's the problem with that rationale . . . coming from an MD no less. What portion of the lawsuits are frivolous? Most medical disciplines have regular M&M conferences. Technically, it stands for Morbidity & Mortality but it's often a review of MedMal. In fact, the hospital legal team typically gives a presentation up to twice a year.

Doctors/hospitals are often sued for errors in judgment, errors in protocol, errors in infrastructure. Sometimes we are sued for bad outcomes that are beyond our control. And sometimes we are sued for no reason at all except profit motive. Only the latter item can be addressed appropriately by tort reform. The former two items are often highlighted by lawsuits and often produce changes in training, protocol, infrastructure that provide a net benefit to the process of healthcare.

If the goal is to reduce the cost of healthcare, an intelligent approach would be a systematic analysis of the components of healthcare costs with an evaluation of change in component costs over time. Once you know the component costs, how fast costs are rising for a given component, and the source of the inflation . . . you can have a reasoned, practical . . . and public debate over what course of action(s) is appropriate.

general tort reform in TX was a bust . . . except for business interests

Arguably one of the most morally bankrupt professional associations in America . . . and yes I used to be a member.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

CkG

I think you are missing the point. Sports are great- I think it's a great thing for those who are involved, but I also don't think it should be the focus of our educational system. Create community based sports - have school interaction with it - sure, but sports needs to be separated from education. IMO;)
School is for school - sports should not take the place of school.

The racial/minority issue doesn't play - it affects ALL schools.;)

CkG

Look at college football, how many players on the football/basketball team actual guaduate? And if they do, how much padding was put into their grades to get them to pass. Colleges were meant to be higher learning schools, not stepping stones to the Pros. Now in High school, it's not nearly as bad as college. But it's pretty farked up when the football field is upkept better than the school itself. What would you want your kid to have, new pads for football or new science books? Sports just needs to come in second to education, that's my only beef with it.

KK

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

On a slightly related note:

I saw an article in USA today where an A grade student was given a $5,000/year scholarship to study at Arizona state University (usual tuition price is $10,000/year). His parents made $105,000/year between them and were cited as saying "couldn't afford his education without a scholarship". No mention of multiple kids, extenuating circumstances, etc. was made.

Arizona state uni were quoted as saying "we used to give scholarships to those who were unable. Now we give them to those who are unable or unwilling".

I don't think giving financial help to those who could pay but choose not too over those who are mentally able but hard up as a good use of public funds.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: Found the article here

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Medellon
What needs to happen to fix our educational system?

Reform the curriculim. The curriculim in today's educational system is thousands of years old, it is based on the ridiculous assumption that those who have a shallow understanding of many subjects are somehow more educated than those who have a strong understanding of a single subject. Middle school is different but I know for a fact that the best way to reform high schools around the nation is to convert the curriculim to a trade skill based system while retaining the "wonderful" general education program for those who attend college after high school.

Corporations could be brought in to this as they would be interested in having the high schools provide them with trained employees.

It doesn't take an expert in education to realize that high schools only cater to college bound students while the majority of graduates end up with nothing.

Here is my idea on the best high school curriculim:

Trade bound student:

Two years of math and English
Two years of trade training
Guranteed job placement after graduation

College bound student:

Same curriculim as we have now

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Reform the curriculim. The curriculim in today's educational system is thousands of years old, it is based on the ridiculous assumption that those who have a shallow understanding of many subjects are somehow more educated than those who have a strong understanding of a single subject. Middle school is different but I know for a fact that the best way to reform high schools around the nation is to convert the curriculim to a trade skill based system while retaining the "wonderful" general education program for those who attend college after high school.

Corporations could be brought in to this as they would be interested in having the high schools provide them with trained employees.

It doesn't take an expert in education to realize that high schools only cater to college bound students while the majority of graduates end up with nothing.

Trade bound student:

College bound student:

How about a trade school setup equivalent to community college (AA) level.
This way they have the skills to switch over and are not locked into a trade carreer.

Increase the English & Math to 4 years
Put in 4 years of Science
Put in mandatory 2 years of a foreign language.
Add 2 years of introductory Trade on a semester by semester basis.

What exists now does not always prepare the student for college or the real world.
Employment guarentees smacks too much of socialism.

Let the employers support the trade community college as a no-charge, guarenteed job upon completion.
This way they have an investment in the quality of students coming out.

Feb 3, 2001
Well this is a subject that could go for ten million pages without anyone even coming close to agreement ;)

I'll just say this: School Choice vouchers. Higher Standards. Better pay for good teachers, termination for bad teachers. Parents who give a damn.

Jason

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
How do we fix education?

I for one, when I have children, will be raising them in a proper Christian environment with a wife I will never leave and instill in them the same characteristics, traits, faith, life lessons, morals and ethics that I grew up with. After that, my wife and I will be choosing private schools that are funded properly for them to learn in, or public schools if the ones in our area are any good. But in case of the latter, we'll be choosing those as well. But heck if I'm saving up for a private University for each of them! Larger public universities are not that bad. :)

To fix education (I'm assuming public schools), they obviously need better funding. And just just for computers and security, but for teachers- they are the driving force with parents on what the next generation of citizens are going to become. They are underpaid and underappreciated. I hate to make the topic another "just throw some money at it" answer, but that's really the answer primarily.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Well this is a subject that could go for ten million pages without anyone even coming close to agreement ;)

I'll just say this: School Choice vouchers. Higher Standards. Better pay for good teachers, termination for bad teachers. Parents who give a damn.

Jason

School Choice vouchers - not need and counter destructive - theory is solved by your next 3 options.

Higher Standards
Add $$$ to get the infrastructure behind those standards
Better pay for good teachers[/b] Add $$
Termination for bad teachers[/b][

Parents who give a damn Impractical for the short term - Will take 1-2 generations to take hold.

Public must stay the course as resit pressure to take the easy way out.

As I have stated previously, this will take twice as long to fix as it did to create.

Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthesisI
How do we fix education?

I for one, when I have children, will be raising them in a proper Christian environment with a wife I will never leave and instill in them the same characteristics, traits, faith, life lessons, morals and ethics that I grew up with. After that, my wife and I will be choosing private schools that are funded properly for them to learn in, or public schools if the ones in our area are any good. But in case of the latter, we'll be choosing those as well. But heck if I'm saving up for a private University for each of them! Larger public universities are not that bad. :)

To fix education (I'm assuming public schools), they obviously need better funding. And just just for computers and security, but for teachers- they are the driving force with parents on what the next generation of citizens are going to become. They are underpaid and underappreciated. I hate to make the topic another "just throw some money at it" answer, but that's really the answer primarily.

Throwing money at is the primary answer? Do you know we spend more on education than *any* industrialized nation and we *still* have lower scores?

Among more than 25 industrialized nations, no country spends more public and private money to educate each student than the United States, according to an annual review by the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Full Story

This is an issue that won't be solved by money alone. Higher standards are *necessary* for teachers and for students. It's time to put the thumbscrews to work.

Jason

Feb 3, 2001

Jason

School Choice vouchers - not need and counter destructive - theory is solved by your next 3 options.

Higher Standards
Better pay for good teachers[/b] Add $$[/b]

Parents who give a damn Impractical for the short term - Will take 1-2 generations to take hold.

Your assertion on school vouchers being unnecessary is completely without foundation. And what is "Counter Destructive," anyway?

As for more $$ being needed, we *already* spend more than anyone else, that *isn't* the problem.

Also, parents who give a damn aren't "impractical for the short term," they are part of the OVERALL long-term solution.

And you're right, this will take longer to clean up than it took to break, no question about it.

Jason

As I have stated previously, this will take twice as long to fix as it did to create.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Trade bound student:

College bound student:

How about a trade school setup equivalent to community college (AA) level.
This way they have the skills to switch over and are not locked into a trade carreer.

Increase the English & Math to 4 years
Put in 4 years of Science
Put in mandatory 2 years of a foreign language.
Add 2 years of introductory Trade on a semester by semester basis.

What exists now does not always prepare the student for college or the real world.
Employment guarentees smacks too much of socialism.

Let the employers support the trade community college as a no-charge, guarenteed job upon completion.
This way they have an investment in the quality of students coming out.

Why would they need science and foreign language? If this won't be needed in their trade then they don't need to take it.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Jason

Higher Standards
Better pay for good teachers[/b] Add $$

Your assertion on school vouchers being unnecessary is completely without foundation. And what is "Counter Destructive," anyway?

As for more $$ being needed, we *already* spend more than anyone else, that *isn't* the problem.

Also, parents who give a damn aren't "impractical for the short term," they are part of the OVERALL long-term solution.

And you're right, this will take longer to clean up than it took to break, no question about it.

Jason

School vouchers provide a way for a school system to avoid the responsibilty of maintaining standards. T
Those quality children will move out to the better school system, creating the same situation as we have now with magnet and private schools.
As the students shif, so will the funds to support the students. Therefore, those that are left behind have less support and opportunity to move ahead.
You would create the same problems that busing does.
The vouchers allow everyone to avoid the pain of straightening out the problem, by defering it onto to someone else.

Funds is not being directed to where it is needed. There may be enough overall, but much is being wasted.
Many schools are run down and unsafe. The equipment to train students is badly outdated or non-existant.
New schools in the more affluent areas are built and outfitted with the new equipment.
Minimal funds are allocated for the older school systems/districts.

Impractical was a poor choice of wording within the context.
Many parents do not give a damm because they do not see any short term results.

Impractical was intended as the system can start correcting itself, however, to count on the attitudes of a parent with a non-HS education supporting the changes - most likely will not happen if it involves them getting directly involved. Yes there aer some exceptions, however, those that understand the benefits will have to compensate for the inertia of those who are blind.