How do they exend those Highrise Tower Cranes for building construction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cyberia, Dec 16, 2002.

1. cyberia

cyberia Platinum Member

I've been watching for the past several month high-rise construction progress at a downtown near me, and I cannot figure out one thing: how do they EXTEND those tower cranes.

There is a residential building under construction down here that is already 22 stories high and rising. They extended one of the tower cranes at the site twice already.

How do you add VERTICAL sections to an already 200-ft. high crane?

EDIT: I meant VERTICAL, not HORIZONTAL sections

2. stev0

stev0 Diamond Member

? for you... are there two cranes there?

the way that i learned, on a tlc show, with two cranes, the one would lift the top section off of the first crane, set it down, pick up a section, the section is put into it's place, then the second crane lifts the top part of the first crane back up and it is put on top of the added section.

they also showed how they did it with just one crane but i can't remember, worked pretty slick though :)

3. cyberia

cyberia Platinum Member

Wow, thanks for the informative post stev0. Do you remember the name of that program on TLC? I've got to tape it and see it.

Thanks.

4. Bignate603

Bignate603 Lifer

I remember reading something about how cranes can "grow". They have these climbing frames that fit over 2 or more segments of the struts that make up the big column that the crane sits on and has one side that's large enough to fit another segment through. The crane's top section sits on this climbing frame and they push the frame up so it has an empty spot for the next segment. They bring in that segment through the opening in the side of the climbing frame, fix it down and then repeat the process. I don't know if that's easy to understand and it never explained how they shove the climbing frame and crane up to make it so another segment can fit (I assume hydraulics) but it made sense to me at the time.

5. cyberia

cyberia Platinum Member

Thanks Bignate! It makes perfect sense. I do see a "climbing frame". At first I thought that the frame makes the crane somehow "telescopic". But the crane got already extended way beyond the size of that frame. So, your explanation makes perfect sense.

6. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

also a type of crane was invented for the empire state building that basically climbed the structure of the building as the building was put up

7. CrazyDe1

CrazyDe1 Diamond Member

Me and my friend were wondering this too...like sure buildings are constructed w/ cranes...but what the hell constrcuts the crane heh

8. CPA

CPA Elite Member

Man, my boss, and a couple of co-workers were wondering the same thing. I spend most of my day watching a new hi-rise going up right next to my building.

BTW, the other question is how do they dismantle the damn thing?

9. JeffreyLebowski

push it over, of course.

10. Jzero

Jzero Lifer

It takes a lot of careful calculation of counterweighting and such to keep those things up. Good crane operators make lots of money. And that's why :)

11. HomeBrewerDude

yep Bignate is right.

Using a frame, they lift the crane up (or out) and insert a section of the crane either at the base to make it taller, or at the near end of the arm to extend the reach. extending the arm has to be accompianied by extend weights out onto the cantelevered side to keep the arm balanced.

12. sharkeeper

sharkeeper Lifer