How do Republicans reconcile the fact that their strategy on winning elections is based on racism anyway?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Lookup Southern Strategy in Wikipedia

"In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to a Republican method of winning Southern states in the latter decades of the 20th century and first decade of the 21st century by exploiting racism among white voters"

This phrase is attributed to Nixon's strategist, Kevin Phillips:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[3]

Hmmm, so the Voting Rights act was a good thing for the republicans, because all the racists were turned off by the blacks joining the democrats and they joined the republicans instead. Now i think i understand what a "Reagan Democrat" is.

I wonder what Karl Rove's mentor, Lee Atwater has to say about this:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N1gger, N1gger, N1gger." By 1968 you can't say "N1gger"?that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me?because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N1gger, N1gger".[8]

Well, at least he's honest.

Lets see what former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman has to say about it:

"By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."[23] However prominent Republican and conservative commentators denounced Mehlman for his apology, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity among them.[24]

Well, at least ONE prominent republican denounced it, but it appears it's still entrenched within the conservative movement as evidenced by Limbaugh (the face of the GOP) and Hannity, two of the most conservative commentators.

So what do you guys think, is the GOP inherently racist (more of a 'wink wink, nod nod' type racist, rather than burning cross on lawn racist)?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's a lot of despicable talk. I am pretty sure there are people on the left who've said the same thing, though. I don't believe either side is really any less immoral and opportunistic than the other.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's a lot of despicable talk. I am pretty sure there are people on the left who've said the same thing, though. I don't believe either side is really any less immoral and opportunistic than the other.

I'm sure there are INDIVIDUALS on the left that have said stupid things, but is the left's entrenched strategy based on racism? At most, it's based on classism, which the left is more than willing to admit.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's obvious you don't understand Republicans or Conservatives at all.

If you judge Karl Rove by his "mentor" Lee Atwater, then you must judge Barack Obama by his "mentor" Reverend Wright and his hatred of America. :roll:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Phokus

I'm sure there are INDIVIDUALS on the left that have said stupid things, but is the left's entrenched strategy based on racism? At most, it's based on classism, which the left is more than willing to admit.

A part of the left's strategy is to divide America into groups, then explain to each group just how much they have been wronged by whitey ;) , and how the Democratic Party plans on correcting those injustices.

Most Conservatives do not see groups of victims and groups of oppressors. They look at everyone as equal Americans.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: cubby1223

If you judge Karl Rove by his "mentor" Lee Atwater, then you must judge Barack Obama by his "mentor" Reverend Wright and his hatred of America. :roll:

I didn't know Rev. Wright wrote the DNC's political strategy. Maybe he wouldn't 'hate' america if it wasn't for the RNC's southern strategy ;)

But anyway, your comment is worthless and just deflection.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

A part of the left's strategy is to divide America into groups, then explain to each group just how much they have been wronged by whitey, and how the Democratic Party plans on correcting those injustices.

Most Conservatives do not see groups of victims and groups of oppressors. They look at everyone as equal Americans.

*except for blacks apparently.

edit: I forgot gays, arabs/muslisms and hispanics, heh

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I still don't see how your "analysis" says Republicans base their political careers on racism.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

A part of the left's strategy is to divide America into groups, then explain to each group just how much they have been wronged by whitey, and how the Democratic Party plans on correcting those injustices.

edit: I forgot gays and hispanics, heh

Grow up. :roll:

There's nothing to discuss here besides the same bullcrap that gets injected into every thread in P&N.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

I didn't know Rev. Wright wrote the DNC's political strategy. Maybe he wouldn't 'hate' america if it wasn't for the RNC's southern strategy ;)

Deflection of what? That your main point is not true?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I still don't see how your "analysis" says Republicans base their political careers on racism.

They base their winning political office on racism. This is basically the strategy started by Nixon and used even in the present day (hell, they even used it against their own, see 2000 south carolina primaries bush v mccain and 'black babies' push poll).

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Deflection of what? That your main point is not true?

except it is true? Tell me, what's not true about it.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

There's nothing to discuss here besides the same bullcrap that gets injected into every thread in P&N.

Nothing to discuss except high level republican strategists basically admitting that racism is central to the GOP's strategy in winning elections and even the former RNC head apologizing for it.

You mad?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

They base their winning political office on racism. This is basically the strategy started by Nixon and used even in the present day (hell, they even used it against their own, see 2000 south carolina primaries bush v mccain and 'black babies' push poll).

I think giving up on the converting the black vote is not racist, which is what the recent strategy has been. Constant calls of republicans being a racist party is untrue, but the reality is the republican party has done much for minority rights.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

I think giving up on the converting the black vote is not racist, which is what the recent strategy has been. Constant calls of republicans being a racist party is untrue, but the reality is the republican party has done much for minority rights.

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N1gger, N1gger, N1gger." By 1968 you can't say "N1gger"?that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me?because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N1gger, N1gger".[8]

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Nothing to discuss except high level republican strategists basically admitting that racism is central to the GOP's strategy in winning elections and even the former RNC head apologizing for it.

You mad?

I guess the republican party is so racist, that is why Steele is now the party chairman.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

That is a quite from over 50 years ago, interesting, but irrelevant But if you are concerned about ancient history, you should look how republicans voted for minority during that time, vs democrats.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I guess the republican party is so racist, that is why Steele is now the party chairman.

That's just what "The Man" wants you to think :Q Don't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

Phokus is 110% right on everything he says, Republicans are teh hate!!!!!!!!!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

You mad?

3 things:

1) it seems the base of your party hates steele

2) There's a difference between wanting to APPEAR racist and BEING racist. Obviously, being outwardly racist is going to hurt you these days, so everything has to be coded (see the atwater quote)

3) The only reason steele got elected was because of Obama, lets be honest about that...

Obviously, the strategy of basically being a racist party (or a party that only appeals to southern whites) has finally caught up to the GOP... this is why Steele was selected.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

That is a quite from over 50 years ago, interesting, but irrelevant But if you are concerned about ancient history, you should look how republicans voted for minority during that time, vs democrats.

Actually, the quote is from 1981:

Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist, reported a 1981 interview with Lee Atwater, published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Prof. Alexander P. Lamis, in which Lee Atwater discussed politics in the South:

And like i said, you can find the Southern Strategy used even to this day (karl rove mastered everythign Atwater taught him).

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
So are you guys saying the former RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman was wrong? That the RNC didn't exploit racism to win votes?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

1) it seems the base of your party hates steele

I have no idea why you say that. He has said some unpopular things, but none of them had to do with race. I cant thnk of anyone U know that hates this man and there are no calls to remove hiom from his position.

2) There's a difference between wanting to APPEAR racist and BEING racist. Obviously, being outwardly racist is going to hurt you these days, so everything has to be coded (see the atwater quote)

See a 50 year quote. Things have changed a great deal in the past 50 years. ANd if you are trying to hinge your entire argument that republicans are closet racists, which by you own definition is unprovable. Republicans by and large do no judge by skin color.
[/quote]

3) The only reason steele got elected was because of Obama, lets be honest about that...

Obviously, the strategy of basically being a racist party (or a party that only appeals to southern whites) has finally caught up to the GOP... this is why Steele was selected.[/quote]

I am sure it was part of i. But lets also be honest there is big difference between giving up on demographic group and being racist. Republicans have had very little problem courting other minority groups. Hopefully with steele in place it will help court this group, but lets also face it this is more about policy than skin color.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So are you guys saying the former RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman was wrong? That the RNC didn't exploit racism to win votes?

I am sure "SOME" did that. I am quite certain, MOST did not.

There are idiots and bigots in both parties.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Do you really believe in your uptight left-wing closed-minded out-of-touch with reality world, that Democrats don't pull the same tactics?

Hispanics voted for George W. Bush
African Americans voted for Prop. 8

Any further discussion will go nowhere. You will never see any other perspective on the subject.

I don't even have to convince you of anything, just to point out to any onlookers that you are wrong. And onlookers are not stupid, they have the keen ability to think for themselves. Never forget that. :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Guess you start with a preconcieved idea and find what quotes you can to support your claim. The OP is clueless. Lets not forget which party worked with LBJ to pass civil rights. It wasnt the democrats. Lets also not forget which party worked towards freeing the slaves.

The dynamic that has changed in the past 40 years is the moden welfare state which democrats have successfully sold to blacks.

I find it amusing when liberals try to paint conservatives as racists when their entire platform to minorities is you are a victim let me help you by keeping you down.