How do pop machines do this?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've always been amazed at how when you open a pop from the machine it does not explode, regardless of the fact that it fell into the hatch quite violently. Try dropping a bottle of pop on the ground and opening it, it will spray all over! Is there a science to the way the pop falls in the machine and the way the fall is designed?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I think part of it is how cold they keep it. I think that helps keep the fizz down. The machines always seem to say like 34 degrees.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I rarely open soda bottles and have it spray all over. It only happens when other people handle the soda (e.g. people other than me buying soda and bringing it back).

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
<anamexis> oh man
<anamexis> I was opening a coke, right
--> Beefpile (~mbeefpile@cloaked.wi.rr.com) has joined #themacmind
<anamexis> and it exploded
<anamexis> ALMOST all over my keyboard
<anamexis> but I got it away just in time
<-- Beefpile has quit (sick fuckers)
<anamexis> :<

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
It probably has to do with the angle it lands at, I think it often hits a sloped ramp and slows gradually. If you were to drop it on the ground, it would hit and likely bounce a couple times.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
you mean soda?

silly people and your wrong ways.

it's pop

:p

p.s. the North won. So we are forever and always right.
Unless someone is super close to Canada. Then they are compromised.

:biggrin:

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
popvssodamap.png

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
silly people and your wrong ways.

it's pop

:p

p.s. the North won. So we are forever and always right.
Unless someone is super close to Canada. Then they are compromised.

:biggrin:

uh oh

/lawnchair

btw, it's SODA... not pop, not coke (unless it really is a coke)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The 16oz and 1L plastic bottles used to spew forth in a machine on my old college campus if you tried to open them right away. The newer machines 'ride' the soda down a bit more before the final drop.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Wow, that's an awesome map. Why is the St. Louis area so hooked on "soda"?

Very surprised at how red central Indiana is. Every time I say pop around here, 8 people yell "soda!" at me.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
some machines seem to shake them up worse than others. having never been inside a coke machine (funny, i say 'coke machine' despite calling it 'soda'), i would guess the track the the bottle goes down curves so the the soda mostly rolls down rather than a straight drop.

also, that map left out 'cold drink,' as in, 'GET ME A COL' DRANK, BUBBA.'

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I used to restock them at a grocery store a few years back and from what I remember, they only drop about a foot, if that. At least the cans do, I've never been inside a bottle machine.

I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore. They jam all the time, and cans explode inside them basically getting pop everywhere, and then you have to dig out sharp broken cans that are buried under 100s of other cans.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
I rarely open soda bottles and have it spray all over. It only happens when other people handle the soda (e.g. people other than me buying soda and bringing it back).

If by soda you mean penis then I agree.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
The pop machine in our office has a robotic arm that gently grabs the bottle from the shelf and gently places it in the hopper.

The machine is down 40-50&#37; of the time, it is an overly complicated process for dispensing a bottle of pop.

The "gravity" style machine on the other floor doesn't break down nearly as much.