How do people play with V-synce disabled?

spanner

Jun 11, 2001

I see tearing at all frame rates (above and below), and this is on multiple systems with different video cards, different games and different monitors and I did some research on how v-sync worcs and I can say is that if its implimented right then nobody should be able to see a performance difference.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I rarely see tearing at all during normal gameplay and in order for me to see it I have to create artificial scenarios and testing situations. Just make sure you have a high refresh rate and you should be fine.

and I did some research on how v-sync worcs and I can say is that if its implimented right then nobody should be able to see a performance difference.
Huh? There's nothing to "implement" at all, it's just a function of the hardware. Either you're waiting for the monitor's refresh cycles or you're not waiting for them. It's that simple.

Granted, you can do certain things to lower the performance hits of enabling it but that's tweaking at your end, not the implementation.

Oct 16, 1999
I can't believe there is nothing to implement besides on/off. Q3 based games run like ass with vsync enabled, I've never seen another engine take such a hit with it enabled, or another engine that forces it disabled by default. Having it disabled is not an option for me, I will not tolerate artifacts in my games if there is a way to fix them. Nobody should. And a high refresh rate doesn't really affect tearing, any time the image is not in sync with the refresh rate (or whole divisors of the refresh rate, which granted, you do get more of the higher the number), you get tearing.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
of course there is nothing besides on or off, you cant have kinda vsync it just doesnt work like that. as for how people can stand to play with it off, as odd as it may seem many people dont even notice the tearing. same thing with alising and mimp maping lines, i have multiple freinds that were compleatly oblivious to all of these things untell i pointed them out in person and then taught them how to correct the issues by setting up ther drivers right.

Oct 16, 1999
I know it is either on or off, I meant I can't believe there is only one way to have it 'on.' In fact, I know there is more than one way, you can have frames sync to every refresh, every 2 refreshes, every 3, etc. Set the swapinterval command in Q2 to '2' and see if you never hit more fps than half your refresh rate.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
In fact, I know there is more than one way, you can have frames sync to every refresh, every 2 refreshes, every 3,
Yeah you can do that but that just leads to a more erratic and fluctuating framerate.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
never hit more fps than half your refresh is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try playing Q3 or UT online when you're running 100Hz refresh and ONLY 50FPS! That 50 will drop to 20 I gurantee and then you die when someone has no v sync and gets 130 at that same time!

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
When I play Mech 4 with v-sync disabled, there is noticable tearing when you pan to the left or right quickly. Playing Unreal with v-sync on limits my max frame rates of course, but my minimum stays the same.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
never hit more fps than half your refresh is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try playing Q3 or UT online when you're running 100Hz refresh and ONLY 50FPS! That 50 will drop to 20 I gurantee and then you die when someone has no v sync and gets 130 at that same time!

you dont undersand man, locking your fps at a lower amount does not make you get lower minumum frame rate. i assure you that i can lock my fps at 50 and play quake3 all day long with the fps counter never reading anything but 50 on my 9700. turning vsync off can give you a very slight increase on your minumum framerate, however its genraly not enough to make differnece and truning down your video options and/or resolution is genrealy the best first step in releaveing unacceptably low framerate.

Gonad the Barbarian,
as for being able to set vsync at a fraction of your refresh rate, sure i understand that it can be done as it is in q3 like how you pointed out, however i must ask what is the point?