How do Money Orders work?

DiZASTiX

Jun 8, 2003
From what I understand you goto the bank and ask for a money order, then you say it is for __ amount of dollars and to send it to a certain address under a certain name (correct me if i am wrong.) But what i dont know is, to get the money into the money order, can you give them cash or do they need a check/credit card or what? Well, if anyone can let me know, thanks! :)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I always buy them at the Post Office since my bank does not offer them to my knowledge. They cost about $1.00 and I pay with either cash or debit. They then provide me with the MO and I fill it out. It asks for senders name and addy as well as the receivers name and addy.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
You buy it with cash, debit card.
They ask how much that is all. You're responsible for filling in who it is going to and sending it.

costs a few bucks.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
The general rule is Cash only. Some places take other forms of payment like Visa check/debit cards.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I'll usually get them from gas stations when I need to...easiest places to find. As mentioned above, they generally accept cash, and credit/debit.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Usually you give the bank/post office/etc. cash for the amount that you want as a money order, and they charge you a buck to print the money order.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Having worked in banking for almost 9 years, the general rule of thumb is:

It's best to purchase a money order from your local bank, credit union, USPS or western union agent.

Usually you pay for a money order with cash, as minendo stated the USPS will also accept debit (not credit) cards as well.

You pay for the amount of the money order plus a fee of usually $1.

When you mail the money order, depending on the value I would recommend sending it with some sort of tracking/confirmation.

ThreeLeggedGnome

Jun 18, 2002
Can it ever be stolen? If you pay more than 3 thousand dollars (for legal purpose) for your money order will it be traced by the Fed?
Just some hypothetical questions.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: ThreeLeggedGnome
Can it ever be stolen? If you pay more than 3 thousand dollars (for legal purpose) for your money order will it be traced by the Fed?
Just some hypothetical questions.
USPS postal money orders are limited to $1000 a piece.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I think Walmart has them for $0.65 a piece, CVS used to be fairly cheap too.

Yes, I've shopped around, it adds up when you get 10+ a week. Now paypal makes my life easier.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
It's best to purchase a money order from your local bank, credit union, USPS or western union agent.
Ditto on this. Your local supermarket or gas station might get them at a quarter a piece, but if you ever need to do any kind of trace or followup because it was stolen or not cashed, best of luck.