How do McDonalds Happy Meal toys work?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So I get a happy meal for the first time. They have several different Buzz Lighyear themed toys, they are on display in some display thing. I get one. Since I never got one before, I didn't care which one it was.

But then I get another happy meal for lunch today. I get the SAME toy. I asked one of the workers if I could exchange it, and she said they are all the same toy, and pointed me to the bin that has them and they were indeed all the same ones.

So how in the heck do I get the rest? Do they give different of the toys to different MCDs? Do I have to go seek out like 4 or 5 different McDs to get the 4 or 5 other toys to have the set? Seems insane...

Thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Probably different for each campaign, but one trick they use is to have a series of toys. Most will be common, and may be on timed release, and a couple will be rare. Keeps you buying happy meals to try to get the whole series.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Its been years since I worked in food service jobs, but the toys back then were the same ones till they ran out, then the next one is rolled out. So you may need to head back in a couple weeks to get the new one.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So how in the heck do I get the rest?

I believe you'll need to wait for the next hunk of plastic landfill-fodder in the series to be released.

Then go BACK to McDogburger's and give them MORE $$$'s!!! (the point of the entire exercise)

EDIT: Are these the McToy's in question? *(annoying music-warning!)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Do you need a white van?

I heard mail order brides are also available. You can finally have LightlySaltyNuts as your offspring.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
They're fastfood workers that mostly dont give a crap (I was one).

Just ask for a different one, you knob.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I tried to collect some sets back when I was a kid, mostly just because I liked the show/game/movie they were promoting. Even back then though I remember it being hard to find certain ones, I'm sure some of that stuff is worth money now because people like to collect all kinds of crap nowadays, I definitely remember people going around try to find certain toys.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They may have changed things, I know when my kids were that age if they got a toy they'd already gotten, I could go up to the counter and get a different one.