How do LCD 3D printers work?

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
The LCD panels in monitors and TVs can be damaged over time by exposure to direct sunlight. It's a cumulative effect though. I suspect the LCD panel in a vat printer is considered a maintenance item, just like the UV LEDs used to cure the resin. I opine that the LCD panels in these machines are also far more tolerant or durable against UV exposure that your average TV. They don't need to worry about response time or color clarity and other such parameters.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LCD units tend to occupy the lower end of the market. The mainstream ones use either a laser or DLP. Basically I doubt the LCD will hold up long term.

NobleX13

Apr 7, 2020
It's definitely the case that the LCDs used for UV masking in the entry level/low end resin printers are regarded as a consumable item. I had an AnyCubic Photon for a while. It cost me $289 on sale for the printer, and the replacement LCD modules were in the $80 range if memory servers. They are probably cheaper now that more printers have come out that seem to have standardized around the same LCD part. I didn't own mine long enough to ruin the included LCD.