How do I use a xbox controller with my PC?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I have a wireless controller but no clue how to use it with the PC.

another question: that game Bastion, is that a PC game that needs a controller? I tried playing it and the character always needs to move up and down at 45 degree angles so I have to press w d w d w d etc and it goes along the path in a jagged motion, it's unplayable with keyboard.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Who wants to use a wired controller? Wires are a PITA. I use a charging pad and it works great.

hahaha I have wired everything, and its great! Keyboard, mouse, headset, mic...one more wire aint going to kill me. I even use the same wired setup on my PS3 when I played it. Yes, I played with a long ass USB cable connected to my Dualshock, and a USB headset. Nothing worse than running out of juice in the middle of a gaming marathon. Show me something wireless, and I'll show you a better version thats wired!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
as others have stated..

u need a usb wireless pc dongle to attach your wireless xbox360 controller.

Then all u need to do is sync the pad to the dongle.

They typically look like this with a usb header on the wire:
20101123195332105xbox360_wireless_receiver.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I own one of those adapters, but use a wired controller anyway. Much easier to deal with than having to worry about batteries and such.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I own one of those adapters, but use a wired controller anyway. Much easier to deal with than having to worry about batteries and such.

Do you just plug it in a USB and wait for it to load the driver? That what happened when I plugged in this joystick I bought. I actually barely ever use the thing but Battle Field 3 is coming and I think last time I used it was BF2.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
i have to say the latency of the wireless xbox controllers drives me insane when playing mortal kombat at friend's houses.

i'll take wired over wireless any day.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
meh... i have G19 and a G500 as well as a G13 which is all wired....

But when i want to break out the pad... wireless is fine.

its not every day your going to use the pad... its for the times when u just happen to.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Do you just plug it in a USB and wait for it to load the driver? That what happened when I plugged in this joystick I bought. I actually barely ever use the thing but Battle Field 3 is coming and I think last time I used it was BF2.

No, it stays plugged in all the time, and it's sitting on top of my tower right now. It never gets in the way, but my headset tends to... I need to buy one of those 3M command strips to hang the headset up... man, what a good idea! BRB! ;)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
i have to say the latency of the wireless xbox controllers drives me insane when playing mortal kombat at friend's houses.

i'll take wired over wireless any day.

ya, that's why he keeps beating you :rolleyes:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
1) Obtain wireless adapter

2) Boot computer, run windows update

3) Drivers + software for xbox 360 controller automatically installed

4) Profit

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

The Xbox version of the wireless controller has no true USB interface. It won't work if you use the plug and play on the PC because it doesn't do anything but charge it. The PC version of the wireless controller btw, will work on both and do wireless or wired on the PC.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
1) Obtain wireless adapter

2) Boot computer, run windows update

3) Drivers + software for xbox 360 controller automatically installed

4) Profit

What is the actual name of the adapter, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for at futureshop/Best Buy.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
They don't sell it individually anymore, as far as I can tell.

It's hard to find by itself in stores. You can usually find it online through Amazon, etc.
I just bought the black set at Best Buy for $50 a while back and another white one off of Craigslist a few weeks later for $20.
(You can use more than one controller per USB adapter, but I have two separate PCs)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
The one they sell on amazon/play-asia/ebay isn't the official Microsoft one, so you won't find it at BB/FS.