How do I prevent Windows from using that !@#$% large icon view in Explorer?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not sure who the neanderthals are that enjoy staring at large icon representation of their files, but apparently enough people do that Microsoft automatically makes it a view for folders with specific file types.

I want the Details view automatically on every folder with all file types forever until the end of days. I've read that you just go to view options and click the Apply to All Folders button. This does not work. At some point in time that pointlessly horrid large icon view will come back. ¡No bueno!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It works for me and has for all versions of Windows in my experience. It must be something you are doing. What version of Windows?

Change the view settings to the Detailed View.
Then go to the options menu.
Select Change Folder and Search Options.
Go to the View Tab.
Change the advanced settings to your desired settings.
Then press the Apply To Folders button and affirm and OK.

Currently using Windows 10 Pro.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, that's what I do. Same OS. I don't change anything new in advanced settings. I apply it and move around through Explorer and it seems to work.

If, for example, I install something a couple weeks later and navigate to the newly installed folder chances are the large icon view in some of those folder will be back.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I am in the preview program, my version may be different, try the icons in the lower right corner of the window

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I've read that you just go to view options and click the Apply to All Folders button. This does not work. At some point in time that pointlessly horrid large icon view will come back. ¡No bueno!

I find that the only time the view changes is for new folders that werent there the last time you clicked "Apply to All Folders". Or for different templates, which are really annoying. You might want to read this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16694/customize-the-five-windows-folder-templates/

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Right click on your desktop. Then select View, and your choice of icon size.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I want the Details view automatically on every folder with all file types forever until the end of days. I've read that you just go to view options and click the Apply to All Folders button. This does not work. At some point in time that pointlessly horrid large icon view will come back. ¡No bueno!
Yeah, that is the way to do it, however, you must do it for each "type" of directory.
I find it annoying as heck that you can't tell windows to do it for everything from now on.