How do I predownload map data in google maps for directions?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I could have sworn I've seen an option somewhere to do that, but I've been fiddling around with this thing and not finding the option. Where do I go to find it? I have the route planned and it shows up, I just want to save it so it will work without using my data.

Reactions: Ranjen617

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh ok so it looks like you can't do it in "directions" mode. I assumed it would only download the relevant data for the specific directions, but this way works too I just selected a big square that covers what I need.

Feb 4, 2009
So amazingly irritating that apple & google don’t allow you to download local map packs.
My windows phones allowed this and it was incredibly useful.
In an underground garage without service, no problem
In some remote area without service no problem
Problem was the map wasn’t always networked so fewer ads and search suggestions.
The files were relatively small, like state area was 20mb.
To me we all should be able to get into our gps and download/preload maps within a certain distance like 10/25/50 miles or kilometers for you weirdos.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Oh ok so it looks like you can't do it in "directions" mode. I assumed it would only download the relevant data for the specific directions, but this way works too I just selected a big square that covers what I need.
Yeah you can only save map data that I know of and not routes. I would wager a 3rd party map app might do that though.

With Google maps the route can change depending upon traffic conditions. Or if you don't have service it will just route you the fastest default way I think. That's what it does when I leave my sister's house, it's in a cell service dead zone for a minute there.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have a general google maps question. Does turning on GPS alone show your position on their maps or does data also need to be on? If I remember correctly I had to turn on data and location services to get directions. I couldn't find a GPS setting on my phone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you have the map of the area you are in downloaded to your phone via the offline mode being discussed, you do not need data for GPS to show where you are on the map. GPS and Data are separate things. GPS is usally listed as LOCATION in quick settings

Reactions: balloonshark

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah so this turned out to work out, I predownloaded a map large enough to cover the destination area, and then doing directions worked offline from there with data turned off and GPS on. I rather do it this way then to use up all my data. Does not really take much to go over.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Yeah so this turned out to work out, I predownloaded a map large enough to cover the destination area, and then doing directions worked offline from there with data turned off and GPS on. I rather do it this way then to use up all my data. Does not really take much to go over.
Google Maps doesn't use that much even for navigation. Try monitoring how much is consumed.
I have 10GB 20GB monthly and I'm not even getting close (with navigation, spotify and normal everyday use).

Offline maps in Google Maps are mostly to speed up things in your local area or when you temporarily lose signal. I wouldn't rely on that for long-term navigation - say: during vacation.
Google decided long ago that Maps would be a simple as possible. They kept killing features that they felt weren't necessary. And let's be honest, it worked. ;)
If you really need offline maps and navigation, there are better alternatives.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow 10GB I wish lol. Try 500MB. Does not take much to go over. I can't justify the cost of plans that are in the GB range. My home internet is unlimited and is cheaper.

But yeah I may need to look at a better overall solution, maybe even a dedicated device. Been looking for bush property and something with more features such as letting me plot lines or what not would be great. Even once I do buy a property something that I can use to know where on the property I am when building trails etc could be useful too. Phone GPS is not that accurate, at least not enough to ensure I'm at the corner of my lot.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Wow 10GB I wish lol. Try 500MB. Does not take much to go over. I can't justify the cost of plans that are in the GB range. My home internet is unlimited and is cheaper.

But yeah I may need to look at a better overall solution, maybe even a dedicated device. Been looking for bush property and something with more features such as letting me plot lines or what not would be great. Even once I do buy a property something that I can use to know where on the property I am when building trails etc could be useful too. Phone GPS is not that accurate, at least not enough to ensure I'm at the corner of my lot.
Oops... there was a mistake earlier. It's 20GB. And it seems fairly pedestrian in 2020.
It's included in my mobile phone plan: unlimited calls and SMS, 20GB data - for not exactly enormous $13/month.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you're probably being ripped off...
500MB - I haven't seen such tiny data plans since around 2010.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oops... there was a mistake earlier. It's 20GB. And it seems fairly pedestrian in 2020.
It's included in my mobile phone plan: unlimited calls and SMS, 20GB data - for not exactly enormous $13/month.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you're probably being ripped off...
500MB - I haven't seen such tiny data plans since around 2010.

Damn I'm paying $25/mo, yes we do get ripped off here. To get into the GB range you have to pay $60+/mo. I had to switch to a discount provider to get this plan. A plan with one of the big carriers like Bell, Rogers etc ends up being way more.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
To get into the GB range you have to pay $60+/mo. I had to switch to a discount provider to get this plan. A plan with one of the big carriers like Bell, Rogers etc ends up being way more.
OK... so that's probably why I still see people from North America asking for offline maps, playing mp3 stored on the phone, caching Spotify podcasts etc. This is pretty much gone in most developed areas.

But honestly, if I were you, I'd probably just get the 20GB plan for $60. :D
Being "always connected" is why smartphones make sense to me in the first place. And more and more mainstream apps are written this way, so surviving on 500MB will keep getting harder with time.

Also, converting to the right currency, I pay 17 CAD vs 60 CAD you mentioned.
According to OECD 2018, this matches the nominal average wage ratio almost perfectly:
13246/46781 = ~0.28
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

I know it takes away some of the fun of living in a wealthy country, but it's not the end of the world. You still pay 3x less for your phones and PCs. ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't need to be "always connected" I rather find ways to keep stuff local on the phone where I can. All my costs of living keep going up so the ones I at least have semi control over I go for the lowest tier plan. I even downgraded my internet to 20/15 a while back, it was the cheapest available and it's still plenty of speed. I do hate the fact that everything seems to be pushing towards this always connected stuff but I will not go out without a fight.

Also the cost of a phone and PC is a one time cost, so that's a weird comparison. If I got a $60 plan that is an ongoing cost that will quickly surpass the cost of the phone and then some. The worse is the "free" phones you get if you go through your carrier, they are not free if they require you to be on a higher tier plan. You pay for that phone at least 3 times over the contract period.