How do I learn android?

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
It seems too confusing the way it is organized. Even when you startup a new project the program is already broken up into so many parts you have to figure out to use them.

I'm usually programming in HTML and CSS and I have a computer science degree which was mostly in normal C++.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
It seems too confusing the way it is organized. Even when you startup a new project the program is already broken up into so many parts you have to figure out to use them.

Separating many of the files does make things more confusing at first, but this separation of concerns is actually a good thing. Once you figure things out it is nice to many many smaller files, than fewer large files.

Seems the best way to learn it is to download Android Studio and look at the sample projects, review the user guides. Don't expect to figure it out in one sitting though.

https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's been a couple years since I've done Android development, but their docs are god awful. Google is so terrible at anything UX related.

You have a lot to learn if you're usually "programming" in HTML and CSS. C++ will help but from the sounds of it I'm guessing you are at the very beginner level of C++.

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
SO I created a Hello World! app on my emulator in Android Studio for android 6.0 but when I put it on my 8.0 phone it does not run, it just says "app has stopped" when I try to run it. Any suggestions?

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I had developed and published a few android apps as a hobby.
My preferred method of learning is pretty much watch youtube tutorials first, and after that just google up one stackoverflow threads after another as i implement and debug. You have no idea how effective this approach is.