How do I install the proper ASPI Drivers w/o installing Adaptec Easy CD Creator???

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I ran ASPIchk.exe (from Adaptec) and it reports that my ASPI drivers are inproperly installed. The only burning software I have on my system is CloneCD and CDRWin 3.8. I have yet to make a succesful burn. I have the retail version of Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe, but I really don't want to install it.

Howe do I properly install the ASPI files needed to use my burner? Is it possible to do this without Installing Easy Coaster creator? If so, where can I get the right files/programs to do this properly?

I'm new to using CD writers and their software so I really don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
You have yet to make a successful burn? Seriously? For real?

When you installed CloneCd and/or CDRWin 3.8 AFAIK those programs install their own versions of ASPI, so to speak. ASPI seems to be the realm of Adaptec and other programs seem to have their own versions of ASPI installed during software installation. Of course, Adaptec's ASPIchk will always tell you that you have outdated ASPI layers installed. Are you sure it didn't say this?

Or did it tell you that ASPI layers were improperly installed?

If the latter then I would recommend uninstalling CloneCd (your burner supports it right?) and/or WinOnCd. BTW, sometimes two burning progs do not coexist together well so I would recommend just installing one first and see if it works properly.

Now, the reason why most people would run ASPIchk is to find out what ASPI layers they have installed after trying without success to install CDRIdentifier or other ID programs like that.

If you still want to "update" your ASPI layers w/o installing Adaptec Crap software then I suggest downloading ForceASPI and running that. Do a search and you will find it. It will update your ASPI layers fooling your comp that you have Adaptec stuff installed. Darn Adaptec!

However, if you get CloneCd and WinOnCd (also try Nero) working without having to update your ASPI I would recommend leaving it that way. If you want to run cdr indent programs then you can always use ForceASPI later on or find other programs that will ID your cdrs without the requirement of installing ForceASPI.

Good luck.

Pski

Jan 5, 2001
If you explore the EZ CD Creator CD you will see a file like ASPIInstl, this will update your aspi layer to the most recent at the time of that cd. You won't have to install the whole EZCD program either.

NuovoTech

Oct 9, 1999
You need ASPI32.exe, 288,433 bytes, which installs ASPI layer version 4.60 (1021). It would be on your ECDC4 CD, do a search... :D

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
bill_n_opus

You are right, i guess improperly installed was the wrong wording, but one of the files listed by ASPIchk showed as missing on my machine. I have had nothing but trouble tring to burn cd's. I made a backup copy of my original Unreal disc with CloneCD that completed the copy but would not run (locked up system).

I tried making a backup copy of another disk and CloneCD reache %95 of the reading file to image stage and then locked. I tried CDRWin but only read %9 before the program locked up.

I don't know what is wrong. I still can't get my new TDK 12/10/32 to accept the new 1.07 firmware. I'm totally baffled. This is a new system, but slowly I am fixing the quirks, I just hope I can figure out this "no burning allowed" quirk.

I found ForceASPI, thank you. I will use it if I need to.

andrey & Pski

Thanks for the heads up guys.

NuovoTech

I will look on the CD but I bought this software over a year a go for my fathers machine, will it have the most current version of that file or is there somewhere I can download it?

billyjak

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why don't you just use the Nero package that comes with the TDK
I would uninstall the other ones and install Nero 5 that comes with it.
If you go to TDKs sight, they have an update for Nero to ver. 5.0.38 which is the latest update.
I had Adaptec software 4.0 and it screwed my burner up royally.
I uninstalled it through the registry.
My TDK 12x10x32x works great now.
I would try this before doing anything else
Also In CD cannot coexsist with any packet writing software on your machine. you must first uninstall all previous software to use it or you will have trouble.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
billyjak

I might install the Nero that came with the burner but it can't and won't do what I want it to like CloneCD and CDRWin. Try using Nero to back up a Playstation game...NOT. Sorry billy I'm typing like a smartass!!:D
No offense, i appreciate your input. I probably will use Nero for packet writing, audio and data but other uses are more important for me to test right now.

Thanks

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
Hope things work out for you. I would also echo the Nero sentiments. But I would also try to uninstall any Adaptec product and also make sure that any trace is gone in the registry as well.

BTW, Nero should do do everything CDRWin does. Nero and CloneCd are a good combo.

I'm also thinking that if problems persist after all this ... you may want to consider mobo/IDE drivers/OS problems. It could be conceivable that you have some weird conflict with your burner and your IDE channel which in turn affects your burning no matter what kind of install you've done.

Regards.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
bill

I think your right about possible ide conflicts. My TV card wasn't working and it was driving me crazy. While looking through the bios I found some conflicts between the bios and windows. I flashed the mobo with the latest bios, corrected the settings (the default settings caused the conflicts!!), and presto I have TV. I also loaded the latest VIA drivers, and took out the Promise ATA100 controller card.

I'm pretty confident that my burner will work now, I just haven't had time to mess with it. Thanks for your time.

Ron

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have found the easiest way to install the Adaptec ASPI layers is to download the update, then add some adaptec drivers to your system off the Windows CD through the Add New Hardware app in Control Panel. After installing the Drivers, just run the ASPI update, and then uninstall the drivers. Works for me.

Dave

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm running EZ CD Creator/DirectCd 4.03 and CloneCD together. Just do not load DirectCD at startup. Both work fine. If you are experiencing lockups, something besides the software is at fault.

WildDreamer

Dec 23, 2000
Buck is right, just add any Adaptec SCSI host adapter through Add New Hardware then do the ASPI update. And before you reboot, just remove the adapter. Worked for me also.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Thanks everyone.

I am up and running now. Everything is working fine. I have installed Nero, InCD, CloneCD, and CDRWin. CloneCD is the only one I have tested so far and it works fine now. I will try the rest later. I think my main problem was the BIOS conflicts.

Thanks again.

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
Nasty suckers those Bios and IDE driver conflicts. I'm sure that they are also to blame for the Air France Concorde crash too!

I'm glad that you're up and running Ronstang.