Question How do I install NVME on Z490 E Gaming?

AlonIsrael 123

Dec 4, 2020
Update 5.12.20 - Solved. Thanks guys!!!

Hey guys. On the verge of giving up on this. I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb on the upper M.2 nvme slot of my Z490-E Gaming (Already tried both slots).

For some reason the new ssd does not appear anywhere on the Uefi bios (It's not recognized), nor can I install the nvme driver from Samsung's site. I try to run the driver but nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to install the nvme ssd on this motherboard??

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
You may not see the NVMe drive in BIOS until after Windows creates the boot sector for it.

Does the drive show up in Windows?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
It doesn't appear anywhere in the Device Manager. How do I tell Windows to create a boot sectore for it?
You are not using it to boot then. You do not need to tell windows that.

Question A:
Some mainboards disable one or the other m.2 slot when accessories are installed elsewhere. Check your mainboard manual for this.

Question B:
Some mainboards require you to enable the m.2 slot in BIOS, check your mainboard manual for this.

Question C:
What HomerJS said is good advice. Are you running the most current BIOS?

Thoughts:
Not showing up in windows device manager as an unknown device is very odd. Like RMA time odd.

If it is to complicated for the user to get it working, it is defective by design. RMA that defective drive and call it a day.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Hey guys. On the verge of giving up on this. I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb on the upper M.2 nvme slot of my Z490-E Gaming (Already tried both slots).

For some reason the new ssd does not appear anywhere on the Uefi bios (It's not recognized), nor can I install the nvme driver from Samsung's site. I try to run the driver but nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to install the nvme ssd on this motherboard??
Is the upper M2 slot slot 1 or slot 2? I can't tell from the pics on the Asus website. Anyway, once you know, you need to set the M.2 configuration to either AUTO or PCIe mode for slot 1, or X4 mode if you are in slot 2. Do you also have SATA devices connected? If you do, they can't be in Sata ports 5 or 6, as these will be off once you make the change to M.2 port 2.