How do I get Windows to stop asking me which install I wanna boot with??

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Dangit. I aint got a clue why this is happening, but when I restart my computer, Windows asks Which Windows I want to boot with - Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Professional. Of course only the first one actually works, I have no idea where that 2nd install came from.. This current Windows install was done on a freshly formatted partition, so it's not like it's reading another Windows on the same format... and I've definitely deleted all the past Windows installs on my other hard drive.. but it's still detecting something! Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I don't know what to look for or do at all.. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

dbwillis

Banned
Mar 19, 2001
There are 2 ways, depending on what your comfortable with.

#1 (edit your boot.ini file in root of C:\

Should look like this:>
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

***get rid of any multiples of the "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect" part

#2 easiest

Right click "My Computer", choose Properties, click the Advanced tab
Click "Startup and Recovery" button, then uncheck "Display a list of operating systems for...."

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
thread..

please search b4 you post....it'll allow for people who's problems haven't been solved yet in the forums to be solved... :)