How do I get just a domain name that gets files from somewhere else?

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've got a website on the FTP i've got at my ISP, it's very fast and nice to have files on. Now, I've got a small personal website, and just for kicks I'd like a domain name for it. Can you recommend some websites where I can get just a domain name that gets the files somewhere? Like, without having to pay for hosting and the lot? thanks.......and please no services where I have to use 70-buck-is-a-rip-off-interNIC

thanks! :)

RyanC

Jun 16, 2000
You could get a domain forwarder.. http://www.wyith.org is free, (they point to an existing url.) About the internic thing though, that's going to be somewhat un-avoidable.. register.com simplifies the process, and allows you to register for 1 year only, which is only 35 dollars.

you could try http://www.domainmonger.com .. they offer domains for REALLY cheap.. but I have never used them.. so can't say anything about thier service..

Personally though, i don't see any problem in just paying the network solutions price.. that's damned cheap if you really think about it..

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
domainmonger I tried, but they make it clear that they can't do url forwarding and stuff......or is that when it goes to another site? I'm a bit confused......

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Easy! I went to REDIRECTION.NET.

They allowed me to REGISTER a domain name for only $15 per YEAR. PLUS they have a deal going on that will also point that domain to ANY URL as part of the $15 per year!!!!!!!

THAT'S CHEAP!

RyanC

Jun 16, 2000
I know they can't do forwarding.. that's where wyith.org comes in..

you sign up for wyith.org, and set the dns setting in domain monger to whatever wyith tells you once you sign up..

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Point blank, for what you want to do, Domain Monger sucks.

I registered with them and they offer no serive as to what to do with that Domain. One of my domains I have to pay them $17 a year for PLUS paying redirection.net for their services.

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! :(

I'm paying almost TWICE AS MUCH as I should per year just because I didn't do my homework.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I registered with them and they offer no serive as to what to do with that Domain. One of my domains I have to pay them $17 a year for PLUS paying redirection.net for their services. >>

I use them and have sucsesfully set up a few websites, without paying another dime for any other service, I use Public DNS and created my own records through them, Be sure though that you have authority over your IN_ADDR.arpa though, Pacbell CNAME's them unless you have &quot;enhanced&quot; service, which means no reverse DNS so no name resoloution. :( I am looking around to see what other DSL providers have DSL that I can host from at home for what I pay. :)

SHUX

markjrubin

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
My preffered thing is to pay a company like jumpline (http://www.jumpline.com and have them host your site for 15 bucks a month. Always be wary of isps, they have the security and privacy of my thumb. Then, if you buy additional domain names, they can all point to the same one, using php. I own 5 domain names and point them all to separate places on the primary account using a simple php script. I can send it if anyone wants it.