How do I get back HDMI audio on my receiver after 4k upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I think in this case the displayport to HDMI adaptor doesn't have to be HDMI 2.0 (which isn't available yet as you said), because the connection between my 980 Ti and LG TV will still be dedicated via HDMI 2.0 for 4k 60hz.

For audio, I think I would need something simple like this to connect to my receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...449597622&sr=1-4&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

Can you confirm this Deder? Or does it specifically have to be some kind of active converter?

This looks about right. Judging from the few comments I've read it does carry audio and the only niggles people seem to be having are normal HDMI issues and resolvable, not additional ones introduced by this cable.

Like you say the link to your receiver doesn't need to be 4K compatible if you are running 2 links in parallel, it's as if the GPU has a built in matrix device.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My only concern is that the audio will not be output via both connections and will be sent down only one or the other (due to Windows).

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
My only concern is that the audio will not be output via both connections and will be sent down only one or the other (due to Windows).

It will only be sent down one connector, but you choose which in the playback devices screen.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
Yes, but for now it's $11 cable vs $800 receiver lol. When I switch to 4k receiver, it will be when 4k blu ray discs start coming out routinely for new movies. And I don't want a cheap low end brand, will need to invest in a quality unit that I will need to research into.

Right now I just want to get back surround sound in my PC games.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
Just wanted to report the displayport to HDMI adaptor WORKED :)

I now get full HDMI sound to my receiver, which is recognized as a 2nd display. I put this "phantom" display on top of my primary display in the screen setup, so I don't go off the side of the screen by accident.

My regular HDMI 2.0 out from the GTX980Ti goes straight to the TV, the displayport to HDMI cable to the receiver, and now I have the best of both worlds :D

I can play Witcher 3 and other games in full surround again :)
Thaniks!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I had the same issue when I got my 4k TV which I solved by getting a sound card with optical out. The only formats optical cannot carry is lossless i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterHD. Regular DTS, DD, and multichannel PCM pass just fine.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Unfortunately Optical can't handle 7.1 like the OP wanted.

How are you getting Multichannel PCM over optical? are you sure it's not stereo being upmixed?

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Just stop.

Why? I've been helpful enough so far in this thread. I'd like to know if it really is possible. A few people have told me it is but I've yet to see evidence.

Last edited:

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
He probably didn't mean to include multichannel next to pcm. 5.1 and 7.1 compressed formats work fine but pcm is limited to 2 channels. Again not ideal for op who uses a multi channel speaker setup. I on the other hand used just 2 so when I stepped down to optical, it was all good.