How do I ftp into 1and1 to upload file

pctwo

Oct 12, 2003
I signed up for a free 1and1 account a couple years back. Now I have reason to use it finally but can't figur out how to ftp. When I get in their admin panel, under ftp access, I see username uXXXXXXX and password. I use that to ftp into 1and1.com (ftp.1and1.com doesn't exist). I get incorect login. I've made sure the name and paswd are correct.

Their FAQ is really vague about it. I emailed support but nobody answered. Doesn't build confidence for their service. Btw, how long is the free account supposed to last?

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Well I've never heard of 1and1.com until now, but I see on their web site a FAQ in the upper right area of their home page.

Click on that, then in the FAQ, in the box titled, "The most important articles" click on the "FTP Account."

It gives exact instructions which I just now perused & found to be very clear.

If you don't already have an FTP application installed, you need to install one.

Look here in Anandtech Forums under Software, in the Freeware thread (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...tid=33&threadid=1837696&enterthread=y)

where you'll see several free FTP applications available. Download & install one of those.

Or, 1and1.com says they'll give you an FTP application for free called WISE-FTP, which you can download from your 1&1 Control Panel. Maybe take that one, since their free download offering may contain some tweaks that make it friendly to 1and1.com.

Set its transmit mode to BINARY (as opposed to ASCII) and follow the instructions in the 1and1.com FAQ guide, & you should be on your way!

The ftp applications are like anything else, it's easy once you know how, but you have to learn how, which takes all of about 5 minutes. No big deal, you'll get it.

If you have difficulty getting the FTP application to work properly for you, then suggest you ask for help with it in the Anandtech Software forum.

Edit: Spelling fix

pctwo

Oct 12, 2003
I figured it out. FTP address isn't 1and1.com, but your domain name. If you don't have one, and I don't, you need to log into your admin control panel (directions are in the email you got when you signed up), then click on Domains to find it.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Originally posted by: pctwo
I signed up for a free 1and1 account a couple years back. Now I have reason to use it finally but can't figur out how to ftp. When I get in their admin panel, under ftp access, I see username uXXXXXXX and password. I use that to ftp into 1and1.com (ftp.1and1.com doesn't exist). I get incorect login. I've made sure the name and paswd are correct.

Their FAQ is really vague about it. I emailed support but nobody answered. Doesn't build confidence for their service. Btw, how long is the free account supposed to last?

I've had a 11nd1 account for years. On one occasion, I called them concerning a problem. They were a big help. I even spoke to an American.