How do I find out what video card my MB will support?

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
Hi. I'm hoping I can find some help here. I want to upgrade my video card to the best card I can, while still within what my MB and power supply will support without risking instability.

Unfortunately, I don't know how find this information. So my question is: What is the highest (Nvidia GeForce series) video card that my MB will support? And/Or, how do I figure this out on my own?

This is my system info:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz 57 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 577MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI P67A-GD55 (MS-7681) (SOCKET 0) 54 °C
Graphics
ASUS VK278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (MSI) 63 °C
Hard Drives
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 ATA Device (SATA) 39 °C
60GB M4-CT064M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
ATAPI iHAS324 B ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

*Edit: 520w power supply 'Antect ECO 520c'

So, as you can see my computer is pretty old (but I'm still pretty darn happy to run FIFA 15 at full settings!). I was thinking of buying a new rig, but I figure I can upgrade to a much better card for quite cheap, and get a little more life out of this PC.

I'm tempted to just take my whole rig down to the local PC store. But I live in Taiwan and my Chinese is pretty terrible, so I'm loathe to do that without having some information to go on first.

Last edited:

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a 520w power supply. The exact model is:

Antec
Neo ECO 520C

Do you still recommend the GTX 970?

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
The 970 is about the newest one out, right? I have a feeling my power supply won't be sufficient.

Is upgrading a power supply difficult?

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
Wow really?! I'm suddenly feeling a bit giddy here...

I didn't think I'd be able to upgrade so far. The weekend can't come quickly enough now! :D

Thanks!

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
OK.

But my next question would be: Won't the rest of my system bottleneck a card as fast as the GTX 970? Would I even get full performance out of the card?

I wonder if it might be wiser to upgrade a bit cheaper at this point, especially if the rest of my PC can't allow the full potential of the 970?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I want to upgrade my video card to the best card I can, while still within what my MB and power supply will support

Your system will handle it fine, even stock. Performance would be better if you overclocked, but that's up to you.

Last edited:

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Wow really?! I'm suddenly feeling a bit giddy here...

I didn't think I'd be able to upgrade so far. The weekend can't come quickly enough now! :D

Thanks!

How old is that power supply? If it's over 5 years old I'd suggest replacing it as well, IMHO.

DinklageOrgy

Nov 4, 2014
So spend $300 on video card to use with a $10 PSU? :rolleyes:

Actually thanks for this bit of post.. This is what I'm wondering about at this point.

Why buy an insane video card now when the rest of my PC is totally out of date?

For example, I was looking at buying Wolfenstein: The New Order along with my new video card. Except then I noticed that Wolfenstein's minimum specs ask for an i7 or equivalent CPU... So could I run the game at all well even with the latest GPU?

I want to upgrade so I can get some more life out of this PC, but also so I can play some of the latest gen games (Evolve, Shadow of Mordor) with a decent frame rate.. But if it's really not going to help me run newer games, perhaps I should just wait a few months and do the whole PC?

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
his psu is fine but some of you need to quit quoting the marketing nonsense about the 970's wattage. a 970 is not as low power and efficient as many of you seem to think. some 970 cards pull more power than a 780 even with just the mild factory oc.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
his psu is fine but some of you need to quit quoting the marketing nonsense about the 970's wattage. a 970 is not as low power and efficient as many of you seem to think. some 970 cards pull more power than a 780 even with just the mild factory oc.

An important point, often overlooked, thanks,