How do I enable AGP 4X??

MagnumCWN

May 16, 2000
I have an ASUS k7V with BIOS rev105a and a Voodoo5 5500. I feel stupid but I can't seem to figure out how to enable AGP 4X. There is nothing that I can see in the MoBo bios nor can I find anywhere to do it in 3dfx tools but I know it can be done...Anyone out there care to make me feel more stupid please do...I'm beggin ya!

sarielX

Apr 16, 2000
I have a K7V and besides the Chip Configuration controls in the BIOS for AGP 4X Drive Strength & Fast Write the mobo is automatic based on V-card configuration (jumpers on card). I don't have a V5 5500, but if it is 4x capible, unlike the previous Voodoos which were stuck in 1x and 2x, you should see the speed assignment automatically. You can check it with WCPUID, Version 2.7e-B6, under AGP Info. It's freeware that that can be obtained @ http://www.h-oda.com/, most sites in these circles will refer to it....

MagnumCWN

May 16, 2000
Thanks so much for the info. I got that program you suggested and ran it and it tells me that I am in 2x. The Voodoo5 IS 4x capable. Any ideas why it isnt running in 4X?

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
Have you installed the VIA AGP drivers 4.03?
Install them using "turbo" mode and it should turn on 4x AGP.

luf

Jul 3, 2000
Hi
I have got a Matrox G400 Max. The mobo is Asus P3V4X. The OS is Win 98 SE. I have installed the last VIA drivers, and the AGP driver is 4.03. The Matrox driver are the last ones (no beta).

The AGP speed is set at 1x. I have this info from WCPUID and a Matrox software (PCIList). There is not way to set it at 4x. The Bios setup is 4x, the matrox card is 4x compatible (it contains the famous "A" in the name).

So, what should I do?

Any experience on that?

Thanks in advance.

Luf

GMJIM

Mar 21, 2000
Magnum
I E-Mailed you RegHack. I have a P3V4X Via chipset with a Asus V6800 and used it to switch to AGP 4X and it works great. Don't know if it works properly on a AMD chipset though. Make a backup of your registry first. I got reghack from SHOMAN, don't know where he got it but it worked for me.
Goodluck
Jim

birddog

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
I can't remember where, but I thought I read that the Voodoo 4's and 5's were only AGP 2X.

koeizen

May 30, 2000
I think they are AGP4x but they don't store textures in system memory like all the other AGP cards out there. Its desgin is more like the PCI66 protocol but it transfers data at AGP4x. Still wondering if his motherboard supports AGP4x