how do i convert a 750mb video to 700mb to fit on a cd with virtual dub?

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
2 options:
1) Re-compress the video by selecting Full Processing mode under the video tab, while leaving the Direct Stream copy on under the audio tab will recompress the video only (ie. no sound quality loss - but some video loss), and lowering the bit rate for the video codec.

2) Save the video (use 'direct stream copy' under both audio and video) and have VirtualDub split it into two after a specific point (best done so that 2nd part of video starts with a keyframe, indicated by a [K] next to the time display) so that it will fit on CD.

Other option is to try and overburn the CDR (if your software supports it) and you are lucky enough to have an 80 minute CDR with an extra 4-5 minutes worth of slack space.

Krugger

Mar 22, 2001
I just emailed you an awesome guide to do exactly what you asked, especially if you mean a DivX thats more than 700mb. Got it from a guy on another forums. basically it walks you thru how to cut the credits, and then recompress them at a lower rate, making the overall file smaller. hope it helps. if its not a movie you are looking to burn, you can try to use the guide to get an idea of how to recompress at a lower quality anyway.
-----Krugger

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< I just emailed you an awesome guide to do exactly what you asked, especially if you mean a DivX thats more than 700mb. Got it from a guy on another forums. basically it walks you thru how to cut the credits, and then recompress them at a lower rate, making the overall file smaller. hope it helps. if its not a movie you are looking to burn, you can try to use the guide to get an idea of how to recompress at a lower quality anyway.
-----Krugger
>>

Don't suppose you want to send a copy to me also? ;)
I need to do something similar with a DIVX file, and frankly I don't play around with DIVX or anything like then very often so such a guide wouldbt be beneficial.

Thanks.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
The absolute best guides can be found at doom9.org.
Probably the best way to fit that file on one cd would be to cut off the credits (if it has any) then over burn it onto a cd. I've put a 730MB file on a normal CD and I've seen others fit bigger ones.