How do I connect my fans

aaa187

Sep 10, 2012
I got my newly build PC running for about a week now.

CPU stays around 35-45, which is a i5 3570k.

Currently, I have the back fan and CPU running but I have no clue how to set the top and front fans.

They come with what looks like molex pins. My motherboard doesn't have any of those but my PSU came with some cables.

The cable comes with 2 molex plus a floppy connection all in one.
I tried to connect both into one cable, but the computer wouldnt turn on.

Another Question: I have this cable that came with my PSU. It is a four SATA cable. Can I use this cable to connect both, the hard drive and DVD drive?

I currently have 2 of these cables for each separate thing but if I can use one, it would be great.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
What are the specific models of case, motherboard, and power supply (including capacity) you are using?

To answer# 2, yes you can plug multiple SATA devices into the same SATA power cable from the power supply.

jimmybgood9

Sep 6, 2012
You certainly should be able to connect two fans to the one cable with molex connectors on it. Will the computer start up with just one of the molex fans connected? Try just one and then try the other one. Perhaps one of the fans is defective and is drawing too much current.

Just as an aside, do you really need all three case fans going? Not to say that you shouldn't figure out what's keeping them from working.

aaa187

Sep 10, 2012
This is pretty much my system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1067788

I actually want to put more fans in it for a total of 5. I want to put in a gaming graphics card and want to be prepared for it.

I did try one fan to connect straight to the PSU, and it worked out but then it wouldnt turn anymore. I suspect it was because a pin was out of place. Will try again.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
It's going to be very unlikely that running any additional fans will not allow your computer to even turn on. I'm guessing you have something unseated or not fully connected while you were messing with things (don't feel bad, we've all done it).

A typical fan is at the highest 2W - and usually around .5W to run. Either there's a short going on in the molex connector you're using or something isn't seated properly.

Like you said in your last post, something is amiss. Check your cabling and connections (best thing to do is to unplug then plug it back in to be certain).

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Cheap molex connectors are a pain to mess with. If it is in your budget, pick up a few replacement fans that use 3 or 4 pin connectors so you can connect them directly to your motherboard (or a fan controller). Depending upon what you are running and how carefully you run your cabling, you might be just fine with three fans.