how do I configure netowrk so wireless devices only see internet?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I have a decent netowrk at home, but I can't figure out how to configure it so that devices (cell phones, Kindles, etc) connected to a wireless network only see the internet. I do not want the wireless networks to have access to my physical machines on the wired network.

Here is the hardware I'm working with:
Netgear SRXN3205 (primary router / firewall)
HP ProCurve 1800-24G (office switch)
D-Link DIR-825 (dual 802.11N - for media and data streaming)
D-Link DAP-1522 (receiver for 802.11N media streaming)
Linksys WTR54GL (for various older 802.11b/g devices)

All wireless devices are configured with 32 character random passwords, and all wireless networks are configured with 63 character random passwords (both consisting of upper and lower case alpha-chars, numerics, and special characters).

I'd like to define certain ports on the ProCurve to a separate trunk, and have wireless routers going in to that trunk access only the internet. But I'm not quite sure where to start in the configuration process. I'm familiar with all of the manuals, but nothing covers something like this.

Not exactly looking for a how-to, so much as a general direction to start looking at / put me on the right path (not that I wouldn't mind a how-to; just saying that I'm willing to do additional further research as needed)

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Buy and AP that supports guest LAN and/or multiple SSID's. My Aruba does this out of the box.

No need for separate "trunks" either. My guest wireless / any other SSID's can be routed to any vlan I choose. I just created a vlan ('556') in my environment, dropped users on that SSID (I used WPA2 Enterprise with PEAP but WPA2 etc will still work) in to vlan 556 which terminated on the firewall with a rule that basically said "you go to the internet only."

Last edited:

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Buy and AP that supports guest LAN and/or multiple SSID's. My Aruba does this out of the box.

One still has to configure those SSIDs. I have wireless networks to spare -- I don't know how to configure them. That is the problem. Or where the configuration needs to take place specifically.