How do I configure my V3 3k, for best PERFORMANCE, not IMAGE QUALITY?

VanDamage

Banned
Jun 19, 2000
I've got a pretty out-dated system on K6 200 mhz AMD cpu, 64 mb ram and a pretty cool Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. Now, I get pretty fine rates in Soldier of Fortune (like 50 fps in no firefighting at all)
So, I've tweaked the hell out of the game (medium textures, no shadows etc)
But, I want to do something for my OpenGL in my V3 drivers too. I cant find any setting called like "Best performance" instead of "Best image quality" or so. I think Nvdidia-based cards have that kinda setting.

I've got the latest drivers, 1.05.00, and I see in 3Dfx-Tools that there's lots of stuff like Aplha-Blending and Z-buffer blabla, that you can ENABLE and DISABLE etc. But how do I know which setting makes the best performance (higher framerate, lower image quality)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Well the thing is, tweaking your video card won't help much given it is so restricted by your CPU. You should be looking for tweaks to save CPU cycles, not to free the video card. One of the biggest CPU tweaks you can make in any game is to disable any kind of lighting.

If you want to know what each of the "3dfx tools" options do, you can read the online help that describes what each setting does. Also in my experience I have found the beta 1.05.01 drivers to be the fastest from the lot, and to date I have had only one video related crash in the 3 months I have been using them.

Also remember that if you play Quake 3 you can download the Locki config to give you a big boost in framerates.

VanDamage

Banned
Jun 19, 2000
Thanks alot, but could you please give me a direct link to the online help for the different 3d-fx tools settings? cant find it :(

john433i

Aug 30, 2000
Right click on any of the settings and click "What's This?". This will tell you what the settings mean.