how do i bind a kb key to shutdown/standby PC?

Nov 30, 2008
i want to bind a couple of my keyboard keys to shutdown and standbye on my keyboard. can anyone help me?

using windows vista x64

haffey

Oct 16, 2008
I'd like to know too. Something like the Mac shutdown - translated to Ctrl + Windows + Alt + F12 or something similar.

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
hmmm. well its not perfect but....

alt + f4

or

win + 1 will run first quick launch short cut. So make a little script that will shut down the comp and put the short cut there.

this might work for your script:

shutdown.exe -f -s -t 1 -c "good bye" // might be different syntax for vista

Nov 30, 2008
all alt+F4 does is close my browser lol. i dont understand the script thing.

so i take it windows doesnt have settings for this? ok so there must be some key binding software out there, just not sure how you link a key to shutdown command, i was hoping it would be simple
thanks in advance for any help guys.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There are specific keycodes for what you want. I have them as seperate keys on my keyboards.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
If you have a keyboard that has "programmable" keys, you can write a batch file that'll run the built-in "shutdown.exe" command. There are likely programs you can run that'll create programmable keys or key combinations using a standard keyboard, too, but I haven't looked at them.

Edit: Vista (and maybe XP) has a built-in way to create a keyboard combination to run a shortcut.

1) Write a batch file that calls "Shutdown.exe" with the options you want.
2) Create a shortcut to the batch file.
3) Right-click on the shortcut. Select the "Shortcut" tab.
4) Create the keyboard combination you wish to use to initiate the action.

Microsoft instructions for creating keyboard shortcuts to open programs.