How do i backup GTA 4 savegames?

Nov 30, 2008
last time, i copied the appdata/local gta folder and after a reinstall OS, i put it back and it wouldnt work.
later read its integrated with WindowsLive somehow.

gonna install W7 for a bit, but need to know how to back up the savegames properly.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
on vista they are located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games
the appdata\local are hidden folders.

you should beable to just copy the rockstar games folder and put it back after

Nov 30, 2008
no its something to do also with Xlive profile. i have to save something in Xlive too or it wont work. i've already tried to do what you mentioned once before. it will say it cant load and to check your hard drive.
i tried some kind of Xlive wrapper but it didnt do squat

kevinf2090

Jul 23, 2005
there is a way that i have found out. not sure if anybody else uses this. you can right click on the gta4 icon in "games" in the start menu and click saved games. this works for a lot of the games for me in vista.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: kevinf2090
there is a way that i have found out. not sure if anybody else uses this. you can right click on the gta4 icon in "games" in the start menu and click saved games. this works for a lot of the games for me in vista.

Nice tip! :thumbsup:
Been running Vista 64 for over 6 months and never noticed this.

Nov 30, 2008

aw, man, so simple. i never even open my games folder, i used to think it was stupid to have it till just now. lol, thanks i'll give it a shot.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: 4537256

aw, man, so simple. i never even open my games folder, i used to think it was stupid to have it till just now. lol, thanks i'll give it a shot.

I use it all the time since right clicking on the games icon gives me the option of DX10 or DX9 if the game supports both and other options dependiing on the game, like the Far Cry 2 benchmark.

And I STILL never noticed that link to the saved games folder...LMAO

zakkk

Jul 23, 2013
hey i still can't find my save games. i'm using windows 8 though. i went to appdata and rockstar games but all i see are two folders: settings and user music. i dont think by backing up the whole rockstar games folder then i'll be able to backup my save games, or is it?