(How) Do divining rods work?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
then you're going to need to pull out some evidence.

I guess you never read the thread? Dude right above me talked about it in his profession FFS. Others have too!

That's evidence? You have a strange standard.

"Because someone else believes it."

Why are you participating in a thread under "Highly Technical" if you think that way? You have no shame about it.

If it works, demonstrate in a controlled test and win lots of money. You don't even have to know or explain how/why it works. Just show that it works!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I guess you never read the thread? Dude right above me talked about it in his profession FFS. Others have too!

Have you been plugging your ears and humming?! If that was actually evidence then SOMEONE would reproduce it under controlled conditions for the prize! It's an UNSUBSTANTIATED ANECDOTE with all tests showing the exact opposite with EXTREME PREJUDICE. Stop calling it "evidence." It would be very easy to prove it WITH NO "FAITH" REQUIRED and win the substantial cash prize if it were real. It's not.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So by that I can now assume that someone needs to teach you the definition of evidence because there's no damn way I am.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
So by that I can now assume that someone needs to teach you the definition of evidence because there's no damn way I am.

When a detective admits "evidence" in the form of video surveillance you use what two organs to ascertain that "evidence?"

I'll give you a clue. It's not your brain, although that processes the information.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
When a detective admits "evidence" in the form of video surveillance you use what two organs to ascertain that "evidence?"

I'll give you a clue. It's not your brain, although that processes the information.

We're talking about "perception versus proof."

You're hung up on perception.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
And yet oil companies still spend loads of money on sophisticated tools and electronics to find exploitable deposits, as do mining companies. You'd think that using a few little sticks would save them a bunch of money, and I'm sure that their shareholders would sure love that.

The million dollar prize also remains unclaimed. I guess it's such a paltry little bit of money that no one can be bothered to go get it.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I could have sworn oil was deeper than water.....

Plus, water could have a different property, IDK.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

The prize lets you search for whatever you want. If they can't apply it to oil after you prove it's possible to find water then it's their problem. You'll still have your millions.

Now: get crackin'

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A municipal utility company I worked for had all of it trench locating equipment stolen. One of the old timers took two pieces of copper, bent them in "L" shapes, then held them horizontally loosely in his hand and walked at a right angle to where the trenches generally would be. The two rod pointed towards each other when he walked over the trench. If you don't believe it works, try it yourself as I did. I came to this site because I was looking for an explanation as to why it works.

Oh, is it October already? Where does the time go.

I see your claim and counter it with, I tried it under controlled conditions and it didn't work.
Now what?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Dowsing can allegedly find buried gold, stone walls, oil, bodies, water, full pipes, empty pipes, caverns, fish in a pond, find your way if you're lost....darn near whatever you're looking for.

If dowsing is repeatable through some means that works close to the surface, it shouldn't be much of a leap to build something to amplify the output and probe deeper. If it can find caverns......those tend to be kind of deep.
Looking around, it seems that dowsing can even be used to evaluate potability of water, condition of soil for planting, finding a good car to buy, determining if someone's lying, and much more. You know, magic.

Last edited:

CenTex

Oct 5, 2015
Im in the construction business. I've seen it work more times than fail. If I'm at home and going to dig post holes I use devining rods. I can locate water and electric lines pretty accuratley. The reason locate outfits use tracer lines and electronic marker systems, Ground penetrating Radar and Rf transmitters is that it is quicker and more reliable than witching. With tracer wire and a detection wand you can trace a line and have 500 ft. marked in a few minutes. Witching would take much longer. But if no tracer wire is installed, like in by back yard. Witching your lines will help you not bust a water line. How does it work...IDK...But it has saved my butt a few times.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Im in the construction business. I've seen it work more times than fail. If I'm at home and going to dig post holes I use devining rods. I can locate water and electric lines pretty accuratley. The reason locate outfits use tracer lines and electronic marker systems, Ground penetrating Radar and Rf transmitters is that it is quicker and more reliable than witching. With tracer wire and a detection wand you can trace a line and have 500 ft. marked in a few minutes. Witching would take much longer. But if no tracer wire is installed, like in by back yard. Witching your lines will help you not bust a water line. How does it work...IDK...But it has saved my butt a few times.

I'm serious, if you can do what you say then you can win a million dollars. The money is in escrow with a law firm with rules that define who it is to go to. The only real requirement is that you be able to demonstrate that you can do what you say you can do under double blind conditions. You don't even have to be able to do it all the time, only a statistically significant amount of the time, and they will work with you to find agreeable conditions to demonstrate your ability. This is not a joke. They want someone to win this prize.

The fact is literally thousands of people have claimed they can dowse for some substance and been tested, none have been able to actually do it. I’ve tested it myself, and it does not work.

If you can you could be a millionaire before the end of the year.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Will you loan me some money when you win the long-standing offer of millions of dollars by duplicating this?

Edit: DAMN! SMOGZINN beat me to it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Will you loan me some money when you win the long-standing offer of millions of dollars by duplicating this?

Edit: DAMN! SMOGZINN beat me to it.

I do like that he claims that companies uses $100,000 worth of equipment to save about 30 minutes of a $20 an hour employee's time.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I was reading about the difference between positive and negative lightning. And the website I read said something to the effect that lightning is thought to be generated by updrafts and ice crystals rubbing against each other. Natrually the positive charge stays at the top of the cloud for the most part while the negative charge stays at the bottom of the cloud for the most part. On this website he goes on to say that in about 200 years of scientists researching lightning it is still not fully, and I can't emphasize that enough, FULLY understood.

Maybe in an effort to satisfy the third grade ATOT clique I should have said tornadoes? LMAO!

Point is, science doesn't know everything like some people seem to faithfully want to believe. What about blackholes? Dark matter, etc?

Wow, you read that on a website, did you? Must be true then!

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You better look up the difference between positive an negative lightning before you act like a total A-hole buddy.

Dale Little

Jun 14, 2016
They absolutely work, and that's the reason I found this forum because after watching a guy on Youtube using two wires from clothes hangers to locate utility lines. I was watching because I am getting ready to dig a trench for a new water line which I knew would have to possibly cross a power line, phone line and I need to know where the water line is that I want to tie into. About 35 years ago a fellow worker showed me how to use the rods by walking across a water hose, and then had me to try it. It worked, but a couple of days ago was the first time I have ever tried to locate anything underground. I followed along the line which I had marked where I wanted to dig and sure enough, I had two positive responses about 8 feet apart. I even called my wife out to show her and convince her to try and she got the exact same response I did. The only thing I know is that I found two lines, but I have no idea what each one is. I have called the 811 number to have the utilities to come out and mark their lines and I will note which is closer or if they mark the same spot. I don't believe there is anything paranormal with it. I am sure there is a scientific cause and effect. Just because scientists have not yet figured it out does not mean it doesn't work. I found this forum because I now was searching for some explanation on why they work, because I know I am on target with two utility lines.

Dale Little

Jun 14, 2016
"The million dollar prize also remains unclaimed. I guess it's such a paltry little bit of money that no one can be bothered to go get it." Just from what I saw from a couple of video's, it seems apparent the guy offering the money is doing everything he can to prevent anyone from showing what they can do, from claiming he couldn't read the entry, to using a bottle of water hid under a trash can as a test. A bottle of water? If it's really the truth they are after, then they need to get access to a site where they know there are underground lines, let the dowsers give it a try and then have the utility company use their electronic equipment to verify, or if they have that much money to give away, buy their own equipment.

Last edited:

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
.....must not post.....must not post.......Ok fuckit !!
I'll throw physics out the window for a sec...

-----

Dowsing rods are complete garbage.
There is a reason no-one has claimed the 1M$ prize....
I've seen people do it , I've tried it myself.It's all hogwash.

Why is this even a question ?

Set a proper 'blind' test up in your backyard , it's easy ! dowsing rods are 2 bent coathangers !

Don't take my word for it.Try it yourself and eliminate this belief in magic please.

:colbert:

Last edited:

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
"The million dollar prize also remains unclaimed. I guess it's such a paltry little bit of money that no one can be bothered to go get it." Just from what I saw from a couple of video's, it seems apparent the guy offering the money is doing everything he can to prevent anyone from showing what they can do, from claiming he couldn't read the entry, to using a bottle of water hid under a trash can as a test. A bottle of water? If it's really the truth they are after, then they need to get access to a site where they know there are underground lines, let the dowsers give it a try and then have the utility company use their electronic equipment to verify, or if they have that much money to give away, buy their own equipment.

Read more about how the testing is done. They first set up a 'known' test, so that the dowser will acknowledge that their magic sticks are working under test conditions. Then they set up a blinded test, with water here, but not there. The dowser has to agree beforehand that the water setup is something they can detect, that the conditions are fair.

The prize remains unclaimed.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It warms me heart to see this thread show up from time to time.

Other companies that are looking for natural resources would also offer substantial financial incentives to replace their sophisticated prospecting methods.

A bottle of water under a box shouldn't be an unfair test. Dowsing is allegedly able to find darn near anything, including both the presence of something and the absence of something. Essentially it'll let you find whatever you are looking for. If that something is a liter of water in a plastic bottle just a few inches from the rods, that should be no problem.

.....must not post.....must not post.......Ok fuckit !!
I'll throw physics out the window for a sec...

-----

Dowsing rods are complete garbage.
There is a reason no-one has claimed the 1M$ prize....
I've seen people do it , I've tried it myself.It's all hogwash.

Why is this even a question ?

Set a proper 'blind' test up in your backyard , it's easy ! dowsing rods are 2 bent coathangers !

Don't take my word for it.Try it yourself and eliminate this belief in magic please.

:colbert:
Or straight sticks.
They can be conductive, non-conductive. Bent, not bent.
It's such a darned versatile tool, too. You can use all kinds of materials for dowsing rods, and find just about anything. You'd think everyone would be selling fancy novelty ones, or at least accessories for them, like decorative smartphone cases. Decals, racing stripes, useless stickers that make them dowse better, just like the useless stickers that improve cellphone reception by way of magic and physics that don't exist.

And yes, dowsing rods can even supposedly find places with good cellphone reception or a wifi hotspot. They also claim to be able to find electronic devices, so they could even lead a person to a USB charger. Every millennial would have at least one set of these things.

They absolutely work, and that's the reason I found this forum because after watching a guy on Youtube using two wires from clothes hangers to locate utility lines. I was watching because I am getting ready to dig a trench for a new water line which I knew would have to possibly cross a power line, phone line and I need to know where the water line is that I want to tie into. About 35 years ago a fellow worker showed me how to use the rods by walking across a water hose, and then had me to try it. It worked, but a couple of days ago was the first time I have ever tried to locate anything underground. I followed along the line which I had marked where I wanted to dig and sure enough, I had two positive responses about 8 feet apart. I even called my wife out to show her and convince her to try and she got the exact same response I did. The only thing I know is that I found two lines, but I have no idea what each one is. I have called the 811 number to have the utilities to come out and mark their lines and I will note which is closer or if they mark the same spot. I don't believe there is anything paranormal with it. I am sure there is a scientific cause and effect. Just because scientists have not yet figured it out does not mean it doesn't work. I found this forum because I now was searching for some explanation on why they work, because I know I am on target with two utility lines.
Then keep practicing, do your own blind testing, and go become a millionaire. If not for the prize, you could surely find some veins of valuable minerals, or maybe oil, or valuable real estate, or even pick winning stocks. Dowsing claims to be able to do a lot of things that could make a person very rich, all for the investment of some time and two sticks.

Last edited:

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
They work! I saw a video on YouTube and contributed my own anecdote!

You can find videos on Youtube claiming to show proof of:

Free Energy,
Perpetual Motion,
Alien Abductions,
Government spraying Chemicals (Chemtrails),
9/11 Inside Job,
etc...

It's a Pseudoscience man, and just because people claim there is evidence, or there are Youtube videos of it, doesn't mean it passes the Scientific Method, which is all that really matters.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Free Energy,
Perpetual Motion,
Alien Abductions,
9/11 Inside Job,
etc...

It's a Pseudoscience man, and just because people claim there is evidence, or there are Youtube videos of it, doesn't mean it passes the Scientific Method, which is all that really matters.

My point exactly, Wordy McWord (strange hearing that come from me).

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015

Free Energy,
Perpetual Motion,
Alien Abductions,
9/11 Inside Job,
etc...

Dont forget Thorium Reactors.