(How) Do divining rods work?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
It is as if people are saying the power of magnets doesn't work because it can't be explained. The force is there, but you have experienced it. Or lightning which in 200 years of research is still debated on how it is produced.

It is seriously hard not to make an Insane Clown Posse joke right now.

We understand how magnets and magnetic forces work, there's no voodoo about it.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
We also know where lightning comes from. There isn't any debate on it as far as I'm aware.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I was reading about the difference between positive and negative lightning. And the website I read said something to the effect that lightning is thought to be generated by updrafts and ice crystals rubbing against each other. Natrually the positive charge stays at the top of the cloud for the most part while the negative charge stays at the bottom of the cloud for the most part. On this website he goes on to say that in about 200 years of scientists researching lightning it is still not fully, and I can't emphasize that enough, FULLY understood.

Maybe in an effort to satisfy the third grade ATOT clique I should have said tornadoes? LMAO!

Point is, science doesn't know everything like some people seem to faithfully want to believe. What about blackholes? Dark matter, etc?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Here, let me help you on your convoluted, self-absorbed ego on what you deem to be real media. Doesn't take a genius to know he's just a damn intermediary.

e5xORRp.jpg

(Phys.org) —The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
To go back on topic... LMAO One day they may have a divining rod for black hole detection used in interstellar navigation. Or something like that. LOL!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Here, let me help you on your convoluted, self-absorbed ego on what you deem to be real media. Doesn't take a genius to know he's just a damn intermediary.

e5xORRp.jpg

So stupid... the assumption that I've never heard it anywhere else before. It's been a back and forth discussion for a really long time. It's even been discussed in several threads here. I even saw an old video mentioning that really recently (infinite universe; no "Big Bang"). Here, let me dig it up real quick...

Oh look! Here it is:

It's a bit like sharing because Glenn Beck's site said that the mainstream media neglected to report that grass is green and the sky is blue. Glenn Beck's site is the one neglecting to report timely information here.

Last edited:

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
I was reading about the difference between positive and negative lightning. And the website I read said something to the effect that lightning is thought to be generated by updrafts and ice crystals rubbing against each other. Natrually the positive charge stays at the top of the cloud for the most part while the negative charge stays at the bottom of the cloud for the most part. On this website he goes on to say that in about 200 years of scientists researching lightning it is still not fully, and I can't emphasize that enough, FULLY understood.

Maybe in an effort to satisfy the third grade ATOT clique I should have said tornadoes? LMAO!

Point is, science doesn't know everything like some people seem to faithfully want to believe. What about blackholes? Dark matter, etc?

Science is a methodology for finding answers to questions. Nothing more, nothing less.

We have models for all of the things you seem to think are unsolved, just waiting on better observations to figure out which one is correct and what tweaks need to be made to reflect reality.

Tantech

Sep 17, 2015
The other day at work, we needed to find several buried empty 4 inch PCV conduits which go between several of our buildings on our complex.

One of the structural engineers who was assigned to the project had these 2 L shaped rods which he called divining rods. he held them loosely in each hand, and then would walk a straight line, and when he walked over top of this empty conduit they would turn and straighten pointing opposite parallel directions showing the lay of these underground conduits.

He reliably located several underground gas lines, water lines, sewage pipes, and the empty counduits we were looking for, and i know he wasnt cheating, because, this guy was only ever here a few times before... no blueprints, no outside knowledge, some of these things were installed 15 years ago.

it ovbiously worked, as we found that where he marked the location, he was within inches of the spot.

Looking it up on the internet, all i can find is a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo... it isnt magnetism, as PVC isnt magnetic. How are these rods able to locate such underground features so reliably.

I'm not sure about empty pipe but I was shown this trick by a fencing contractor. He was looking for a power line that he didn't want to hit. He did the same as your engineer pal. I watched him do this more than once..... And then decided to try it myself, and it does work. The way he explained it to me is this ... Anything traveling through a pipe (gas,water,electricity) under ground is causing a static charge and the rods being loosely held allows them to orient themselves to the line in which the static is being pulled. .... I understand inductance and how this would work but I don't understand water , gas, or an empty pipe..... It does work though.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Please don't try to discuss science.

You make my head hurt when you do, like you think flight sims are reality.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
The problem is, there is a huge prize for anyone that can prove it works. They don't even have to explain why.

The prize is still unclaimed.

I agree and my post wasn't aimed at diving rods; just that we don't know everything so the posters who write absolutes; the prize will be paid that some year when there is a preponderance of evidence that something they have stated isn't ; really is.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You make my head hurt when you do, like you think flight sims are reality.

You can train in "flight sims." Please don't try to understand, you won't.

Read up on XPlane and Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I agree and my post wasn't aimed at diving rods; just that we don't know everything so the posters who write absolutes; the prize will be paid that some year when there is a preponderance of evidence that something they have stated isn't ; really is.

The prize does not require a preponderance of evidence. It only requires that you can show that it is a real phenomenon. That means that for dowsing for example, that you successfully do it, in a controlled environment, while a trained observer watches. You even get to decide just what you find, and how, and under what conditions. All that is required is that it is double blind, in other words neither the person finding nor the person observing knows where the thing to be found is. If they are able to successfully find it at a rate better than random chance, they win 1 million USD. You don't have to explain why or how you did it, only that you can.
No one has ever even come close.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The prize does not require a preponderance of evidence. It only requires that you can show that it is a real phenomenon. That means that for dowsing for example, that you successfully do it, in a controlled environment, while a trained observer watches. You even get to decide just what you find, and how, and under what conditions. All that is required is that it is double blind, in other words neither the person finding nor the person observing knows where the thing to be found is. If they are able to successfully find it at a rate better than random chance, they win 1 million USD. You don't have to explain why or how you did it, only that you can.
No one has ever even come close.
You'd think that oil or mining companies would be willing to offer a lot more than that to be able to find what they're looking for using only a few simple sticks, rather than spending so much money on sophisticated technology to figure out where to drill or dig.
I'm sure their shareholders would love to hear Exxon announce that they've figured out a way of reducing exploration costs by 98%.

JassBass

Oct 3, 2015
A municipal utility company I worked for had all of it trench locating equipment stolen. One of the old timers took two pieces of copper, bent them in "L" shapes, then held them horizontally loosely in his hand and walked at a right angle to where the trenches generally would be. The two rod pointed towards each other when he walked over the trench. If you don't believe it works, try it yourself as I did. I came to this site because I was looking for an explanation as to why it works.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
A municipal utility company I worked for had all of it trench locating equipment stolen. One of the old timers took two pieces of copper, bent them in "L" shapes, then held them horizontally loosely in his hand and walked at a right angle to where the trenches generally would be. The two rod pointed towards each other when he walked over the trench. If you don't believe it works, try it yourself as I did. I came to this site because I was looking for an explanation as to why it works.

This is a site largely full of liberal A-holes and atheists. Don't expect these clowns to understand. In fact, I bet you anything that I will be quoted now and ripped on. It's your word against there's. I've learned over the years that the amount of arguing on a forum will NEVER change one's opinion.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

If he or you can demonstrate that it works, then you should go for the cash prize.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Wait... So you're saying that it's god twiddling your sticks?

Not really, but theoretically God made the world go round and your heart pump. But like I said, everyone here is an atheist.

"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness." ( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not really, but theoretically God made the world go round and your heart pump. But like I said, everyone hear is an atheist.

What difference does it make whether everyone here is an Atheist or not?
Bullshit is bullshit regardless of the opinions of the people listening. If you want to convince anyone that it's not bullshit then you're going to need to pull out some evidence.