(How) Do divining rods work?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
A guy at work told a story of when he went to work for a machine shop.
"Hey kid, I need you to go get something for me. The spot welder ran out of spots. Go talk to Steve and get a bucket of them."

So he spent awhile being passed from person to person to get the spots, until someone finally cut him some slack and let him in on the joke.

Yup, our noobs at the boat factory were called squid and someone would tell them to go to the tool crib to get some non-existent tool that they needed for a job. In the case of woodshop guys it was the infamous "panel stretcher". They would tell some squid that a bulkhead was too short and for them to go get the panel stretcher. Once they got to the tool crib the guys there would tell him that it was out in another department at the moment and to go check with them to see if they are done with it. It was fun to see them wandering around the plant with a couple of hundred of people in nine departments to go through.

Good times...lol

Dowsing rods do work! If they are made from the right wood they make great dowels. :biggrin:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Workplace jokes are the best. I work in a telco. We send summer students in the cable vault or MDF with a decibel meter to look for dial tone leaks. :biggrin:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What is the definition of “paranormal” in regards to the Challenge?

“Paranormal” is a generic term used to refer to occurrences beyond the scope of conventional experience or scientific explanation. It implies that certain phenomena are to be understood independent of science’s present measure. Paranormal experiences are different from certain hypotheses, i.e. dark matter or String Theory, because the paranormal events are not consistent with our current scientific conception of the way the world works through empirical observation and the scientific method.

This is the definition in regards to the $1,000,000 "PARANORMAL" Challenge....
Read what I wrote. Then read this again. Everything I stated is scientific and in no way. paranormal. I am a firm believer that any occurance on this planet can be explained by science. That is why I wrote what I did, to show people that it was I no was magic.

The Randi Foundation has stated several times, in clear language, that dowsing would fit the definition of supernatural for the purposes of the challenge. If in a double blind study you can prove that you can reliably dowse for a material than you can win the million dollars.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
BAsed on new technology that NASA engineers tested and proven that works:

A satellite was put into orbit to detect underground water.

If they can do it by science then it should be able to do it via low tech means.

In theory that more water = more gravitational pull.

Now we just need these very same engineers to test divining rods.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
By what logic?

Pretty much none.

Walking around with a pair of sticks doesn't compare to 2 satellites in orbit moving at around 9km/s that measure each others distance to an accuracy of around 7 picometers detecting very slight gravity distortions.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
By what logic?

By the logic of technology of course!

Since they can do it with high tech does not mean they can not translate that into low tech to do the same thing on the ground.

This is the area where spooky science can make some see the real science VS those who think its gibberish and akin to dancing with the devil and spirits and or snake oil salesmen.

Low IQ types will say you are playing with the devils power.

I would say we are at the gates to open our eyes wide at the start of a science that might look like magic and it is this alone that will baffle some of you.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
So the extra gravity pull from a 2" pipe of water compared to the surrounding soil is so much that it moves macro-scale rods? I can't believe some people are still clinging to dowsing rods working in this thread haha.

What is hilarious is some people claim to find drain pipes with the rods. Drain pipes do not hold water, so I guess the air in the pipe has mystical properties to it too.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
So the extra gravity pull from a 2" pipe of water compared to the surrounding soil is so much that it moves macro-scale rods? I can't believe some people are still clinging to dowsing rods working in this thread haha.

What is hilarious is some people claim to find drain pipes with the rods. Drain pipes do not hold water, so I guess the air in the pipe has mystical properties to it too.
What I read about their history says that they can find just about anything.
Buried walls, bodies, water, voids, rocks, specific minerals, electrical conduit, plastic pipes, metal pipes...

It's like a cheap plot device in a bad movie.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
BAsed on new technology that NASA engineers tested and proven that works:

A satellite was put into orbit to detect underground water.

If they can do it by science then it should be able to do it via low tech means.

In theory that more water = more gravitational pull.

Now we just need these very same engineers to test divining rods.

You're an idiot.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Walking around with a pair of sticks doesn't compare to 2 satellites in orbit moving at around 9km/s that measure each others distance to an accuracy of around 7 picometers detecting very slight gravity distortions.

If you connect the divining rod to the satellites with a skyhook, you'll find water every time.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Tarot cards work my aunt and sister read them. Trust me they work... My aunt told me about things in my life that was true and she said my parents would be buying a house and it happened. Most people can't do it right it takes meditation, etc to know how to do it right and she only did it for close friends and relatives.

Psychics are kinda hit and miss some don't know anything and some are damn good I dealt with two who were damn good! If you don't believe me then look at the "evidence" where psychics helped law enforcement to solve crimes. Ever watch John Edward or the Long Island Medium?

Let me just tell you that I knew one that was able to access my password protected laptop just by me thinking of the password.

If you're a troll, you're consistent and thorough. You have my admiration.

If not... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Holy necro, Mr. Fail.

s5Qd1JD.jpg

I really don't care if you believe me or not. I have nothing to prove. Seen as how the audience in here has a closed mind I don't expect anything less.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Holy necro, Mr. Fail.

s5Qd1JD.jpg

I really don't care if you believe me or not. I have nothing to prove. Seen as how the audience in here has a closed mind I don't expect anything less.

It is not that we are closed minded, it is that we require SOME level of evidence. I have many friends that believe in Tarot, divining rods, healing crystals, new age mumbo jumbo, and despite knowing some of the 'world's greatest psychics' I've never seen even a crumb of evidence that they can do what they claim.

As has been pointed out, repeatedly, there is a million dollar prize for anyone that can perform any of these things. I even know someone that is able and willing to certify an attempt.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
It is not that we.

I didn't know you spoke for the class of people that have narrow minds. I bet you think biblical archeology doesn't exist either. The Romans, crucifixion, etc.

Do your friends watch the Long Island medium? She was on Dr.Oz and the show can be found on YouTube. Pretty interesting. Perhaps if she's willing science would consider psychic as a possibility and run some tests?

The CIA even tried psychic espionage. Unfortunately it was considered inconclusive. Not sure what Russia was up to. The police have used physics too. Do your Googling if you want "evidence."

Like I said before. There are many that are fakes, but some do posses a real gift.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I didn't know you spoke for the class of people that have narrow minds. I bet you think biblical archeology doesn't exist either. The Romans, crucifixion, etc.

Do your friends watch the Long Island medium? She was on Dr.Oz and the show can be found on YouTube. Pretty interesting. Perhaps if she's willing science would consider physics as a possibility and run some tests?

The CIA even tried physic espionage. Unfortunately it was considered inconclusive. Not sure what Russia was up to. The police have used physics too. Do your Googling if you want "evidence."

Like I said before. There are many that are fakes, but some do posses a real gift.
Quoting this!

iHaiAun.gif

Did you think Dr. Oz was a respected authority? :D
He's not. He's ridiculed as a quack.

"physic" != "psychic"

Take a guess at why the military program was inconclusive...

Last edited:

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Which is why you're getting defensive about magic in a public forum. Because you have nothing to prove. And you don't care if anyone believes you. Right. :rolleyes:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Just posting, dude. I can't do that? This is a forum???

Basically, to conclude these are my experiences. They are what I have seen. If you haven't than you can't possibily believe it and I don't blame you, but to shut the whole thing down as if it were witchcraft black magic bull shit is nonsensical. It is as if people are saying the power of magnets doesn't work because it can't be explained. The force is there, but you have experienced it. Or lightning which in 200 years of research is still debated on how it is produced.

For you to say that I'm getting defensive is ludicrous. Look who's getting defensive! "Oh you're bat shit crazy." "You're an idiot." Etc, etc. Talk about an ego problem.

Anyway, WTH happened to this topic?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Basically, to conclude these are my experiences. They are what I have seen. If you haven't than you can't possibily believe it and I don't blame you, but to shut the whole thing down as if it were witchcraft black magic bull shit is nonsensical.
What you are talking about is exactly magic. Just because you give it some pseudo scientific explanation does not change that.

It is as if people are saying the power of magnets doesn't work because it can't be explained. The force is there, but you have experienced it. Or lightning which in 200 years of research is still debated on how it is produced.
Oh. This explains a lot. For the record, we understand magnets pretty well, and there is no serious debate about how lightning works. We understand both of those things about as well as anything can be understood.

Turtle.Man

Mar 20, 2010

I'm literally LOL, and I can't wait for someone at work to question the result of one of my experiments: "So, you disagree with my conclusion? F.U. pal, I don't have to prove anything!"

You absolutely have something to prove if you expect anyone to believe you: the burden of proof is squarely on the shoulders of the claimant (you).