How do disable Windows Messenger? Not the service, but that instant messaging program that's linked to outlook, et al.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
The operating system is XP Pro. I did a quick search but all found was how to disable the messenger service to stop spam. I found one link talking about that .NET passport crap, but the best they came up with is renaming the file. There's got to be a better way.

When I try closing it, it won't because of Outlook and IE. I suppose one option is to just not use Outlook and IE, but I'd like another solution if possible.

DOSfan

Sep 19, 2003
This is a repost of what I put in another thread, but here you go.

Of course, people could always go to Gibson Research Corperation.

Steve Gibson does a wonderful job of repairing these kinds of mistakes.

DCOMbobulator, and Shoot the Messenger are the relevent programs, but while you are there take a look at what else is available.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As far as how to configure your XP's services, here's a site (Blackviper.com) with explanations. Site also has Windows 2000 service configurations advice and explanations. That's the one I've been using.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Take it out of hlkm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. (I think that's where it lives... if not, try the same path under hkcu.)

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
You can completely uninstall it, just go to Run and run

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

If you have WinXP SP1, you'll get an error about unregistering an OCX file. Ignore that error, it still uninstalls fine.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
if you are just looking to break "the startup with Outlook" connection, just open Outlook. Go to the Tools menu and select Options. Click on the Other tab and DEselect "enable instant messaging blah blah blah". That will stop Instant messenger from starting everytime you open Outlook.

If you are talking about something else then just ignore the above rambling :)