How do cats kill rats?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Cats are just amazing hunters and fighters. Growing up we had a 20lb+ outdoor cat. That was 20lbs of PURE MUSCLE there wasn't an ounce of fat on that cat. He was declawed in the front too. He'd routinely kill everything and anything that got in his way and leave the heads (yes just the heads) on our doorstep. This included, quite regularly, possums.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cats like to play with their food too. They often carry around a small animal (chipmunk or something) by the neck, then they'll put it down and catch it again.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
Pound for pound are there any more capable predators then a feline?

The cat pretty much is nature's apex in lone stealth hunters. And when in packs like Lions, they even kill fucking elephants!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Usually it's just a matter of the prey being crushed to death, maybe with some fangs actually entering said rodent and disrupting organ functions. I had a neighbor who showed me some pictures of his grandparents gigantic Maine my excellent compatriot awhile back. In the same album were hastily taken pics of what this "cat" brought home on occasion. Aside from the normal load of birds and mice, the ones that really caught my eye were the biggest hare I've ever seen, a collection of fat grouse, and several mink! Dude told me it had a habit of mauling other cats who came to close to the house. Supposedly another neighbor whose cat got the "duct taped to a tree" treatment one too many times took matters into his own hands and shot it with a 20 gauge. :(

On the plus side, I'm sure the local bird population recovered somewhat.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The cat has claws on its legs and it chases down and grabs the rat and bites its neck = dead rat. I haven't witnessed this, but I think that's what's happening. Be nice to the cat, it's doing you a service.

I've made friends with a feral cat that's adopted me recently. I started putting out water and a little cat food a few days ago to solicit its favor in hanging around. I'm hopeful it will control rodents and most particularly possibly squirrels, which reduced my Japanese pumpkin crop by about 10% last summer. I've heard that only certain cats will mess with and control squirrels, though, so it's probably iffy. This cat isn't too big, I suspect it's a female.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Cats like to play with their food too. They often carry around a small animal (chipmunk or something) by the neck, then they'll put it down and catch it again.
I miss my kitty.

She was quite the little hunter. It was morbid the way she would catch and torment her prey. I will never forget the terrified squeaking from the mouse she caught. She would bite it and then toss it into the air and when it landed she would pounce on it. She then put it out of its misery by a swift bite to the back of the head. She would then eat the whole mouse head first.

:Q

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
My cat liked to use the microwave. A cooked mouse is a tasty mouse.
Too bad kitty got locked inside that one time. And doggie pressed "popcorn" selection on the pad.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: sportage
My cat liked to use the microwave. A cooked mouse is a tasty mouse.
Too bad kitty got locked inside that one time. And doggie pressed "popcorn" selection on the pad.

fucked up. i hope by doggie u dont mean u.