how difficult is it to give a cat a bath?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The only cat I ever attempted to wash really loved the water. After that he would try and jump in the shower with anybody who let him.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Unless your cat has no fear of the sound of a faucet, I wouldn't try it. They have wipes for pets at the pet store, it's much less stressful for you and your cat.

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
It's possible assuming they're fairly laid back (never bites or intentionally scratches) here are some precautions:
1.) Make sure their front & back nails are trimed.
2.) It helps to have a glass shower door; open bath tub or curtain shower bath tub are bad.
3.) Fill a small bucket with enough pet shampoo to make warm soapy water. Put a small washing cloth in it.
4.) Fill a two gallon or larger pitcher with warm water (the kind where you put the fruit juice in). pic
5.) Get a clean small cloth (for wiping away excess soaps) & a large towel (for drying).
6.) Trick or carry the cat into the shower and close the glass door. It helps to cover the cat's eye with something so it wouldn't freak when it saw the bucket & the pitcher.
7.) Start rinsing with soaping cloth and slowly drain water from the pitcher onto the cat afterward. Avoid face/ear contacts. Finally dry the cat with towel.
Don't try to sink the cat into the bucket, generally they'll freak out.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
at the very least you need baby shampoo around the head, pets suck at keeping their eyes closed during baths.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
At first they will put up a litte fight but usually calm down. I would suggest wearing something protective on your hands/arms or at least where a old coat or something so if they claw trying to get out and accidentally get your arm it won't go deep.

Shortcut

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2003
i found it much easier to put the cat in the shower, and just spray them with the showerhead.

putting the cat in a bathtub or sink of water has never worked well, in my experience

Ticks

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2003
I recommend grabbing a sponge or wash cloth.

Wet the cloth or sponge thoroughly.

Rub cloth or sponge on cat until completely wet.

Apply shampoo.

Use small bucket or cups of water to wash shampoo off.

Done and done.

My cat has never scratched me when I've given him a bath. He just howls a lot. I would hold him down with one hand and clean him with the other.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
I'm not sure why you'd was a cat anyway, all the cats i've known were all clean and clean themselves often!