how did you pick your home inspector....?

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
and how much did it cost you to pay him/her to inspect a prospective house?

is there anything to 'test' them to see if they know what they should be helping you look for....

should they spend 2-3hrs inspecting?

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
also, can the seller follow you and the inspector all around the house, can we legally inspect it without 'seller supervision?'

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
I went with the guy that my real estate agent recommended. My inspection was a few hours but it was for a condo.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

out of the good ol' yellow pages...

When I called for estimates (in Dallas, TX) they charged by the square footage of the house... approx 10% of the size...1900 sq ft was $190...

took about three hours....

checked furnace, electrical, plumbing, roof, a/c and heating system, trueness of the some of the doors/cabinets...

since this was our first house and I didn't really know what to look for, it was definitely worth it...

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003
sory can't help as we didn't get house inspector as it was totally brand new house. Congratulation on new house

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
The seller can follow you and the inspector around if he chooses to. It's his house. What would be your objection unless the seller was preventing the inspector from doing his job?

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
In NJ it is against the law for a Real Estate Agent to recommend a building inspector. At least that is what our REA told us while she slipped us his phone #.

No matter who you choose, just make sure that you read the fine print. Know exactly what he will and will not check, and what recourse you have if he says one thing and you find that he was really off and it is gonna cost you money to put right!

:)

edit: we paid almost $400.00 and we were not there when he inspected this place. He gave his report, we bought the house and it has cost us tens of thousands of dollars to fix what he said was fine, or he did not check. The fine print said that he was not responsible and we have no recourse for his errors!

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: cyclistca
I went with the guy that my real estate agent recommended. My inspection was a few hours but it was for a condo.

i wouldn't go with what the real estate agent who is trying to get you to buy the house, to get you a inspector though.....

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
We called an inspector that was located two counties away just to make sure he wasn't getting ;) references from agents in our area.

ski2slow

Jan 26, 2003
Asked some of the people I work with for references and reputation. The inspector I hired here in Michigan was very thorough. I spent 3 hours with him going from the basement to the attic. He even checked the dates of when the toilet water tank cover was made. He mentioned that when buying a house it is important to know whether fixtures are original or not. Replacement may indicate that the owners may had problems. I've been very happy with my purchase.:D

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Ask people who you know that have bought houses who they used for their inspections, and if they were happy with the service.

My inspector only took about an hour, but I wandered around with him and he showed me everything as he found it. Interestingly, the seller WAS here (the only time I ever saw the seller in person) but he didnt' really follow us around too closely. The inspector was sure to casually walk the other direction if he wanted to show me something in person.

The inspection was really pretty simple if you know what to look for. HOWEVER you should 100% absolutely hire an inspector, even if (perhaps especially if) you are buying a brand new house. It is only $200-400 but is money well spent if they find something wrong. Having said all that, as someone else observed - the inspector can't be held liable if he misses something.. which is pretty fair, in all honesty you can't expect the guy to pay for your $20,000 roof if you only paid HIM $200 to look the place over.

Things he looked for: Termite damage, water damage, shoddy electrical / plumbing issues, appliance condition, generally walked around and poked/prodded/examined stuff.

Things my inspector missed: Dryer didn't shut off (he did note that the washer and dryer were both so old they could not be expected to function well), and a 2" hole in the kitchen counter laminate. The kitchen counter I'm kind of pissed he didn't see, but the funny thing is - there was this REALLY UGLY CUTTING BOARD on the kitchen counter.... and it was there every one of the 12 times I was in the house, it was there when the inspector came, it was there when I showed my parents the house, etc, etc, etc... and on like the fifth day after I moved in I was like "ewww I've got to throw that hideous cutting board away" - and that's when I found out why it was there all along. :)

My guy was really paranoid, and freaked me out on things a couple times, but overall he gave the house a "it's a good deal for the $" rating.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Just ask the seller you want some time alone with the realtor sometime so you can call in inspectors. Don't tell which though.

should they spend 2-3hrs inspecting?
Yes.

Here in NY you don't need a license of any kind to do home inspections. So, depending on area, you have to be careful.

Typical fees are ~200-250, up to a certain square footage. Then it's increased by foot, or however you work it out with the inspector.
There are also many other tests that can be done in addition to just a normal homeinspection.
Like, radon, septic dye, well flow, Ecoli, Lead, and nitrate just to name a few.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
thanks!

the realtor asked if she could get a copy of the full report, when the inspector finishes the write up.... should i give it? wonder why she 'really' wants it if for any reason.... to help me, help her? help the seller?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Realtor recommended a guy. $250 but he only charged $200. It took him over an hour I think, but we don't have a huge house :)

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: SampSon
Typical fees are ~200-250, up to a certain square footage. Then it's increased by foot, or however you work it out with the inspector.

My realtor gave me a list of recommended inspectors. He spent around 2 hours inspecting, cost me $300.

There are also many other tests that can be done in addition to just a normal homeinspection.
Like, radon, septic dye, well flow, Ecoli, Lead, and nitrate just to name a few.

I had a well inspection, septic, mold, etc etc. They were done by other companies, not the home inspector.