How did you feel about your first "real" job?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Was it something you enjoyed doing? Was it useful to your career path? Could you have seen yourself doing it for..a while?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
Was it something you enjoyed doing? Was it useful to your career path? Could you have seen yourself doing it for..a while?

Hell no, No, hell fvcking no! I was there for 4 years and it was pure hell.

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Syringer

i still keep in touch wtih people from my first job. i met some great people there. only stayed for 2 years.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Still work there, going on 4 years (going to school, good part time job)

For what it is, it isn't bad. Love the discount.

Anything with customers helps most carrer paths. Retail for a first job is a good foundation.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
I thought myself an idiot for ever wanting to jump out of school and into the real world. Three months later, I was back in school. 2 hour work days > 8 hour work days.

Although I quit just as I'd got settled and the money was starting to pile up.. I imagine that would've made things better. The sad thing is I'm a liberal arts major so ater I graduate I probably won't even be making the 26k/year I got there.

L

Lola

I thought it was going to be just a part time job, but i realized i was quite good at it and that was it. I am still doing it today. :)
My first real job is now my career.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I guess I'm still technically on my first job (over 3 years) but much further than where I started. Yes, I still see and say hi to everyone.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
My first real job is where I am at now, a teaching assistant at a catholic elementary school. It's pretty good. My past jobs included:

Telemarketting
Security at various nightclubs
Computer tech with aunts bf and his peon company

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
hmm.. i like mine. Work for a research lab at Penn State that does defense contracting, so I get paid well, great benefits, get my TS clearance paid for, and get to do some interesting work.

I will probably go out into industry after a few years just to boost my salary, and then I plan on coming back to this job so I get a higher salary, and still get to do the same fun stuff.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's alright and in my field, but it's more of the... non-analytical aspect I guess you could say. Personally, I love getting out a piece of paper and working out formulas to figure out a difficult problem, but I don't get that fun right now :(.

Jun 19, 2004
I was 13/14 and started working at a nursey (The garden variety, not a kid nursery). It was hard, back breaking work and I loved it. I think it set the tone for my work ethic for every job thereafter. My favorite one was after that, I worked with a land survey crew when I was 16 and that job made the first one look like a peice of cake hard work wise. It was awesome though, always being outside, had a tan you wouldn't believe, and long hair to boot....the ladies loved it. Now I run a PC repair shop and I'm not quite as tan :(.

goatjc

Oct 25, 2006
Leaving my 1st job this Friday. . .only after 4 months. I thought I'd be learning a whole lot of stuff when, in reality, I'm basically a grunt on the line that just pushes out orders day in day out w/o any advancement opportunities.

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
I left my first real job a month ago. I hated the job and people there so much...

Anyways, I got a new job offer on Monday and I start on March 1st :)

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
It was an OK and yes it was related to my major. I really didn't mind it but it definately wasn't what I wanted to continue to do for the rest of my life. I found a better position 6 months later.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Still at my first job... sorta... due to mergers and internal shuffling the job has changed since day one... but I'm still here after 13 years.

NuAlphaMan

Aug 30, 2006
I loved it! I was being paid to be a programmer! I would have done that for free. Well, maybe room and board. The environment was pretty hectic (a bunch of layoffs were happening). I stayed for about 2 years and got another job. I'm still a programmer, but now I'm trying to get more into project management and leave to coding to the younger folks! :)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DVad3r
My first real job is where I am at now, a teaching assistant at a catholic elementary school. It's pretty good. My past jobs included:

Telemarketting
Security at various nightclubs
Computer tech with aunts bf and his peon company

I used to tutor at a Catholic highschool.

Believe me, that's where it's at. :D

- M4H

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
didn't like it, didn't require much thought, basically grunt work and a waste of my degree... so i found something better and quit. new job? awesome!

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
not exactly what i wanted to do, and i cant see myself doing it for long, but its very easy and the pay is great. the job is awesome per se. kinda like a ferrari guy driving a porsche.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I got into the trades after I graduated high school in 84. After nearly a decade of working in the trades I decided I wanted to have a white collar job with better pay and more opportunity for growth. I went back to University and got my degree in Mechanical Engineering. What I remember from the days of working in the trades (sheet metal) was the filth, noise, dirt, and poor attitude. The money was good for being young a the time, but God, I hated getting up everyday to go to work.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Um, what's a "real" job?

My first job was as a young teenager working at a local movie theater. I think my cousin worked there. I was an usher. I worked one night and next time I came to work my boss asked me where I'd been. He claimed he told me I was supposed to come in on an earlier day. Total BS. So, I was fired. Work sucks! Unless you love your job/work. I've had a few of those, but just a few.