How did my Plex server get infected with ransomware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Make sure you have a good password on the router as well.

The admin interface should not be facing the internet, if it is, then turn that off!

Anything administrative that is facing the internet needs to have some form of brute force protection or it's not a matter of if but a matter of when, someone gets in. Idealy there should be only one entry point.

Best bet for remote access is VPN, and some form of port triggering. (you don't want that port wide open... remember heartbleed?) I still need to look into the best way of doing that for myself though. For now I just have the port open for my work IP.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The admin interface should not be facing the internet, if it is, then turn that off!

Anything administrative that is facing the internet needs to have some form of brute force protection or it's not a matter of if but a matter of when, someone gets in. Idealy there should be only one entry point.

Best bet for remote access is VPN, and some form of port triggering. (you don't want that port wide open... remember heartbleed?) I still need to look into the best way of doing that for myself though. For now I just have the port open for my work IP.

I am a little paranoid, as I only have RDC set up for the local network. Would it be nice to access it from other locations? Sure. But not nice enough to invite the possible security issues.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
use something like GoToMyPC or LogMeIn. I believe they are much more secure than rdp