How deep can a pickup truck with a snorkel be submerged in water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I know the snorkel can go up pretty high but wouldn't the water level be a concern to the electronics inside the interior long before it reaches the top of the snorkel?

I remember seeing a nature documentary where they were driving Landcruisers through flooded swamps where the water level in the car was up to the bottom of the dash yet they had no electrical problems.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It really depends on the design. I think also backpressure from the exhaust area can cause an issue after a little bit of time as well, unless the exhaust pipes are also snorkeled up.

A vehicle's electonics can be pretty fairly waterproofed/sealed, but it's far easier to do on things like Wranglers and CJs than it is with a typical modern SUV.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Somehow I doubt that guy is too worried about his dashboard electronics! ;)

I can tell you, OP, that when I lived in Guam, we had a typhoon (December 97), and that I had my driver's door window broken by a piece of storm debris. The lack of a window caused the dashboard of my car to be inundated by all the wind driven rain that came after that window was broken.

When I came out the next morning, to drive into work, and saw what happened, I worried whether the car would start, and whether I'd have any dash electronics working. To my surprise, the car started right up, and everything but the speedometer worked just fine, including the radio. The next day, I was driving down the road when all of a sudden the speedo needle jumped up to the speed I was driving, and worked just fine after that.

Needless to say, I was pretty impressed with the water resistance of the dashboard electronics in that 89 Chevy! :awe:

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
wow did that jeep have a snorkel? it had to have right? i didn't see one.

Passenger side A frame, it's there.

I've done 30+ inches routinely in my Jeep without a snorkel and have had it over the hood a couple times.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You have to worry about not only the electronics but also the differentials, transmission, transfercase, etc. Those things have breather tubes to allow for air expansion when they heat up, and those have to be above water.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I know the snorkel can go up pretty high but wouldn't the water level be a concern to the electronics inside the interior long before it reaches the top of the snorkel?

I remember seeing a nature documentary where they were driving Landcruisers through flooded swamps where the water level in the car was up to the bottom of the dash yet they had no electrical problems.

Maybe not right then, but they will eventually.

edit: This thread reminds me of a customer I had at a Ford dealership years ago, who had an F-150 that was the '4x4 Off Road' model.
They buried the front in a pond up to the F-150 emblems on the fenders.....so they said. There was actually mud much higher than that.

Anyway, they had a transmission problem, and it was electrical, not mechanical. My guys couldn't figure out the problem....the diag routine was useless....it said part xx was bad, but that didn't fix it. Showed a dead short in one circuit....we tried the parts on both ends of the circuit, and even ran totally new wires in that circuit and it was still there. Nightmare electrical concern. Nobody could have diagnosed it, it was just going to be a matter of trying things until you accidentally found the problem.

They came in to discuss it with the manager and I, (read: bitch about it) and during the conversation, the wife said "But it should be able to do that kind of wheeling, it's a 4x4 Off Road".

I said "Yes, but that's 'Off Road', not 'Offshore'."

My manager almost pissed himself trying not to laugh.

Last edited:

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've had my Toyota Echo a little past the bottom lip of the hood before with no problems. The Ford Explorer that was with me died though and had to sit for a little bit before it could start back up. Must have been a freak accident of water splashing up into the intake somehow because I'm sure its air intake was higher than mine.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
We could go up to the snorkels in the military,iirc, but the electronics were made to be submerged...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I punched a small round hole high on the side of my airbox one time. The hole was still under the filter. This prevented the engine from sucking in water if the low end of the air intake tube happened to get submerged. The hole prevented enough suction from developing, so the water would not be pulled in, and the engine still had air to run on from up high under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.