How dangerous is putting a compact fluorescent lamp in the microwave?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Why don't you put one in and set the time to 60 min and let us know. Better yet, stick your head in the microwave and set it for 60 min.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
it should light up, just as long as your're talking about just the bulb( like a circline ), and not the kind with the integrated electronics. That would be bad.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
very. your roommates are going to be pretty pissed when they find out why the magnetron is fried.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Better yet, write a parody post on your laptop and stick it into the microwave. I wonder if it is safe.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
very. your roommates are going to be pretty pissed when they find out why the magnetron is fried.

It won't fry the magnetron. I did this kind of stuff a lot when I was a kid.

myjaja

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
Why don't you put one in and set the time to 60 min and let us know. Better yet, stick your head in the microwave and set it for 60 min.

How can he stick his head in the microwave and turn it on? It's not possible. :roll:

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: myjaja
Originally posted by: Baked

How can he stick his head in the microwave and turn it on? It's not possible. :roll:

Disable the safety mechanism. Pretty easy to do.

Feb 19, 2001
i nuked an old 40W spotlight that died (i just changed it out 3 days ago) and it made a flash before I hit stop..

does it matter if its a broken bulb or not?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Why would you ever do such a thing? Questions like this make baby Jesus cry.

Put Baby Jesus in the Microwave!!! :Q :Q

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
low pressure...those things implode. not that it would kill, but its filled with powder that contains mercury..and thats always "fun"...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: sandorski
Why would you ever do such a thing? Questions like this make baby Jesus cry.

Put Baby Jesus in the Microwave!!! :Q :Q

Right next to the sad panda?

Sweet, that'd be a two fer!

Throw in a peeps for the trifecta!

Now you're talking!

phisrow

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2004
Do be aware of the fact that CFLs contain a small; but very much nonzero, quantity of mercury. Mercury+food=unpleasant. If the bulb doesn't break, no problem; but if it does, you might want a new microwave.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
low pressure...those things implode. not that it would kill, but its filled with powder that contains mercury..and thats always "fun"...

What does that have to do with anything? Why would it implode just because you put it in the microwave? It won't. I've done it before. The bulb lights up, and occasionally the metal end caps will spark.

Of course you can't leave it in there for 30 seconds or anything. It only takes a second or two for it to light up.