how come theres no alternative to Flash?

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
there seems to be alternate apps for everything else..from pdf to wmv to qt... legal or not im sure someones gotta write their own flash thingymabob?

because if they could incorporate a spam database w/ flash it would eliminate the flash-based advertising and that would be sweet

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Because Flash is a trademark of Adobe Inc.

If someone made an alternative, it wouldn't be called Flash. It would be called something else.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
There are a few flash alternatives, but so far only for Linux. I guess if there was enough demand, they might make their way over to Windows, but Flash is so complicated and updated so frequently (and is probably less well-known than pdf) that they're way behind and probably will continue to be so. I think they manage Flash Player 7, and maybe even 8 functionality well enough, but flash is already on 10 and might be on 11 within a year.

And VLC player can play flash videos outside of a browser, not sure if it relies on flash to do so. (might use swfdec?)
I believe Gnash is the major alternative for attempting full support. Most flash alternatives stick to being able to playback videos (youtube style) and don't attempt the more advanced features.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
I assume you mean Flash Player? And what exactly is so wrong with Flash Player that you need an alternative?

its adobe
plus the fact that freeware /open-source "alternative" applications are almost always "lighter"
and if they could get the rendering application to filter out ads it would be ftw

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: guyver01
Originally posted by: LS21
its adobe

:roll:

x2.

I assume you mean Flash Player? And what exactly is so wrong with Flash Player that you need an alternative?

its adobe
plus the fact that freeware /open-source "alternative" applications are almost always "lighter"
and if they could get the rendering application to filter out ads it would be ftw

It amazes me how selfish people can be.

First, alternative apps are usually lighter at the cost of compatibility. I'll admit the beautiful thing that was the original PDF spec and read is terribly bloated today, but that doesn't really apply with Flash in my opinion.

Secondly, for the selfish part, you realize the ads are what keeps content free, right? Very few people make websites at their own cost with no monetary drive behind them. Anand doesn't let you post here out of the goodness of his heart. Hulu doesn't host video out of some philanthropic need to deliver high quality video of recent shows to you - they're in it for the money. The people and websites who aren't in it for the money aren't places most of us want to visit. It's no different from the commercials on broadcast TV.

That said, I'm just as selfish. I'm viewing this site with adblock and fast forward through commercials with my DVR. The result? Anand's now using link modifiers and presumably capturing referral data and converting it to revenue. Good for him - unobtrusive and still paying the bills. It may not always end up that way and services you want may end up going away.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004

its adobe

Firefox + Adblockplus = no flash ads

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer

its adobe

Firefox + Adblockplus = no flash ads

no flash ads = no clicks || no views = more pay sites || less content

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: nace186
Media Player Classic play flash files.

With far better performance than the flash player.

Don't think you can use it as a browser plugin though.

Aug 23, 2000

its adobe

Are you wanting something that just plays Flash or do you want to create Flash content?
If you want to play it, who gives a crap if it's Adobe or not. It's free and it's a small foot print for the plug-in. If you want to create Flash content, sorry bub, you're stuck. Flash is an Adobe product now.
Why would they "filter out ads" they can't control what people create with Flash. The website just has a place holder for an ad. Don't worry about the medium the ad is presented in, worry about the site that is pushing the ad on you.
That's like being pissed off at paper because you saw a picture of a donkey screwing a dog.